Join our zoo community
jayjds2

Galápagos sea lions

Zalophus wollebaeki. Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, San Cristóbal Island. Taken on March 29, 2018.

Galápagos sea lions
    • jayjds2
      I took this photo from the beach in the capital city of the Galápagos Islands, Puerto Baquerizo Moreno on San Cristóbal. I estimate I saw about 200 sea lions on this beach, primarily females and pups. There were a few animals I saw every day on the islands, but sea lions were by far the most prevalent, found on beaches, benches, piers, and boats everywhere! I even saw one out at sea between Santa Cruz and Isabela islands.

From today on, I intend to post at least one photo into the Ecuador galleries every day, until I run out. This "postcard shot" as he calls it was nominated by @ThylacineAlive. If anyone wants to see a particular species sooner than another, just leave a comment and I'll try to oblige the next day! :)
    • AWP
      I was at this location nearly one year ago. It was quite amazing, within a couple of minutes I saw almost more mammals, birds and reptiles than in several days in the Amazon (sea lions, sea iguanas, lava and night herons, frigate birds, pelicans, warblers, Darwin finches, mocking birds).
    • jayjds2
      I agree, it was a remarkable experience! I was amazed by the number of sea lions. I actually think that Puerto Ayora was better all around for diversity in species: I saw quite a few more bird species there, as well as cownose stingrays and blacktip sharks, and perhaps a few other fish. I loved both cities though.
    • AWP
      True about Puerto Ayora, saw plenty of Galapagos sharks in the harbour as well as cownose rays and lava gulls.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Ecuador - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    jayjds2
    Date:
    4 May 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.2 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4546px
    Height:
    3031px
    Aperture:
    f/10.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6
    Date / Time:
    2018:03:29 14:32:12
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    18 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).