Join our zoo community
lintworm

Gamgoas - crocodile enclosure

The spacious enclosure for nile crocodiles, on the left side of this picture there is another viewpoint with a nice underwater viewing, that also features many African cichlids.

Gamgoas - crocodile enclosure
lintworm, 23 Sep 2014
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • lintworm
      The spacious enclosure for nile crocodiles, on the left side of this picture there is another viewpoint with a nice underwater viewing, that also features many African cichlids.
    • Malayan Tiger
      Best. Croc Exhibit. Ever!!!!!
    • lintworm
      Recently this enclosure has been enriched with 5 dwarf mongoose.

I am interested how the crocs will deal with their new inhabitants.
    • Zooplantman
      With a nice sauce, I imagine :p
    • zooboy28
      Possibly one of the worse ideas to have come out of a Swiss zoo in recent years. Even if it works well, I'm sure the mongoose could be displayed better in a purpose-built enclosure.
    • Kifaru Bwana
      The challenge of zoos is to present wildlife in a engaging manner. I do not see that much wrong in trying this as yet unconventional WG between both species. If we would not try out new ideas, how else can we progress to a better zoo?

Aside from this very existential question re zoos in the 21st C, I wonder if anyone knows the identities of the Nile crocs Basel zoo owns?
    • Bib Fortuna
      Why ? Do you belive, the crocodiles are run after the mongooses to catch them ?Personally, I know some more stupid mixes than this one, so puffins with seaotter, merkats with small birds, lions with parrots and mongooses ( some of them eaten by the lions !) or wolfes and bears together...
    • kiang
      split level and plenty of climbing and hiding opportunities, factored in with some well fed crocs, the mongoose should be ok
    • Bib Fortuna
      Agree, but who knows ? Maybe we should be in worry for the crocs...years ago, the green morenas at Hagenbecks Tierpark have eaten alle the black tip reef sharks in their tank in a single night...:D
    • lintworm
      I visited Basel yesterday and the mongoose were still alive and kicking. The crocs didn't show any interest, but the mongoose were highly vigilant, but they have claimed the whole back portion of the exhibit, where there are a lot of hiding opportunities...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Basel
    Uploaded By:
    lintworm
    Date:
    23 Sep 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: