Join our zoo community
SMR

Gateway to the African Painted Dog Exhibit - 02/03/2011

This is the entrance to the African painted dog exhibit from the north side (alongside the rhinos). Work continues apace. Had Bongorob and I been tempted to cross the barrier, we would've left our hand-prints in the wet cement.

Gateway to the African Painted Dog Exhibit - 02/03/2011
SMR, 2 Mar 2011
    • SMR
      This is the entrance to the African painted dog exhibit from the north side (alongside the rhinos). Work continues apace.

Had Bongorob and I been tempted to cross the barrier, we would've left our hand-prints in the wet cement. ;)
    • Maguari
      Thanks for the update shot! This is a very definite change of direction for Chester - only the Tsavo aviary has anything like this level of theming/immersion. Will be fascinated to see how it looks finished. Can't deny I'm every bit as excited about the hyrax as the dogs though.
    • Satan
      Looking forward to this in the summer. Hopefully we have no periods of bad weather.
    • karoocheetah
      100% with you here Maguari - The Dassie (Hyrax) are a fascinating species and hopefully will show well :)
    • Javan Rhino
      I'm excited for both :D - African wild dogs are a species I still haven't seen (or have memory of seeing anyway). It's amazing how fast this build is going, from only 4 months it's completely different and I think major parts are finished. I can't wait to see it open and occupied on member's day :D
    • lechweoryx
      Looks huge! Hasn't eaten into any of the hoofstock (lechwe and roan) paddocks has it?
    • SMR
      It encompasses both Przewalski horse paddocks (the easterly one most recently used by the roan antelope), their former hard standing and stable (now demolished) and extends from the black rhinos all the way to the current roan antelope paddock.

Edit: here's a photograph of the basic plan Paix kindly uploaded a while ago: http://www.zoochat.com/42/hunting-dog-enclosure-plans-31-10-a-186943/
    • SMR
      Thanks a better plan, thanks for the link, although I'm struggling to see where the hyrax would be going.
    • Maguari
      The hyrax will be (I believe) at the northern (rhino) end, but their location isn't specified on any of the plans.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    SMR
    Date:
    2 Mar 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    416.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1064px
    Aperture:
    f/9.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Date / Time:
    2011:03:02 12:59:46
    Exposure Time:
    1/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 640
    Focal Length:
    32 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).