Gaur

August 2008

Tags:
Gaur
CZJimmy, 27 Aug 2008
    • CZJimmy
      August 2008
    • Baldur
      Stunning animals, just stunning, their size, gosh!
    • MARK
      Yep I agree :D
    • Pertinax
      They are huge(for a cow!).

By the date(2008) that's the mother(right) and her partgrown male calf(left). The mother died and now they have the male bred there plus a new (imported) female. They were lucky the last pair bred when they did before they lost them both.
    • MARK
      I wish Whipsnade had more of them
    • zooman1
      yes i wish they would get some more and build up a herd. have they ever had more then just 2 or 3 animals does any one know
    • Pertinax
      There have never been more than about two at Whipsnade, (that I know of.) But London did have a small group on the Cotton Terraces, in the enclosure where the Okapi are now, though in those days it was just a flat gravel yard with a water moat around it.
    • kiang
      According to the 91/92 ZSL annual report, there were 2 gaur at Whipsnade, then they were joined by 4 animals from Regents park, but one animal died during that year, leaving a total of 2.2.1.
      The original pair, were part of a trio brought to Whipsnade in 1988, the first year gaur were shown at the park.
    • Pertinax
      I wonder where they were kept? There was a long period when I never visited Whipsnade which evidently coincides with this era. I've only seen them where they are kept now, and also for a time they were in the house/yard that the Black Rhino previously had near the Giraffe House.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    CZJimmy
    Date:
    27 Aug 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    286.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/5.5
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix A500
    Date / Time:
    2008:08:27 16:04:19
    Exposure Time:
    10/600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    19.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).