Join our zoo community
Maguari

General View at London, 17/03/12

From the reindeer paddock - otters front left with meerkats behind, the Round House with lemurs and (indoors) fruit bats at the right and the Clore with outdoor callitrichid exhibits in the rear.

General View at London, 17/03/12
Maguari, 19 Mar 2012
Crowthorne likes this.
    • Maguari
      From the reindeer paddock - otters front left with meerkats behind, the Round House with lemurs and (indoors) fruit bats at the right and the Clore with outdoor callitrichid exhibits in the rear.
    • DavidBrown
      What is the Clore used for these days? Are there still aye-ayes inside (or am I confusing that with something else?)?
    • Maguari
      I'm not sure of the current Aye-Aye situation, but they're not on show if they're still in the zoo. The last place they were on show was in the Round House, where the Rodrigues Fruit Bats are now.

The Clore today is in three sections:

-a rainforest walk-through with half-a-dozen callitrichid species, Red Titis, Linne's Sloths and a tamandua, as well as various free-flying birds, iguanas, piranhas and invertebrates

- the nocturnal display in the basement, currently displaying a reduced stocklist from days past but thankfully with a tendency to have kept the rarer species in zoos - current line-up is: Brown Rat, Panay Cloud Rat, Malagasy Jumping Rat, Australian Water Rat, Naked Mole Rat, Potto, Seba's Bat, Nothern Slender Loris and Large Hairy Armadillo as well as a few inverts

- an off-show area - the 'right-hand' half upstairs, mostly used for calllitrichids I believe (a group of Pied Tamarins were clearly visible in here on Saturday). There were some works going on this area that almost looked like they could be preparation for opening it back up but that's probably wishful thinking on my part!
    • IanRRobinson
      Not in NW1....:rolleyes:

..only teasing !! :)

I believe the Aye-Ayes are still there. What London plans to do with this iconic species I don't know. I have to say that I think with over 100 acres not open to the public at Whipsnade any off-show exhibits really could, and should, be there, rather than taking up well over a third of the Clore.
    • Maguari
      You know full well I said 'a tendency' then gave the mammals in rough exhibit sequence! :D :D

Agreed. Would be nice to see the Aye-Ayes on show somewhere.
    • IanRRobinson
      In all seriousness, there MUST be some rarer,reasonably active, small mammal to have as the first, attention grabbing, exhibit in "Night Life".

Pygmy Slow Loris were in the old Moonlight World, for heavens' sake.
    • Maguari
      I quite like the 'rat room' and how it starts with the familiar and not-necessarily-popular Rattus norvegicus then gives you four other 'rats' (albeit mostly 'rats' in name only) that look very different. I actually think they should make more of this. What they need is a few more R. norvegicus, Bristol-style, to liven up that first exhibit.
    • Tim May
      Unless the situation has changed very recently the aye-ayes are still in London Zoo "behind the scenes" in the off-exhibit area of the Clore Pavilion.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL London Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    19 Mar 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    324.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S7000
    Date / Time:
    2012:03:17 09:52:31
    Exposure Time:
    10/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    7.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).