Giant Otter at the Chestnut Centre, 09/06/13

[i]Pteronura brasiliensis[/i]

Giant Otter at the Chestnut Centre, 09/06/13
Maguari, 9 Jun 2013
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • Maguari
      Pteronura brasiliensis
    • DavidBrown
      With giant otters, North American river otters, European and small-clawed otters is this the most ottery zoo in England?
    • Maguari
      It was easily for some years, but now the breeding of Giant Otters has kickstarted its sister park in the New Forest also has the same four. I don't think any other UK zoo reaches above two species - though several do have two (Chester, South Lakes and Colchester spring to mind).

Both parks are heavily biased towards otters and owls - Chestnut was the original park and has only about half-a-dozen species other than the 'two Os'; New Forest started out as a general UK wildlife centre and even after being acquired by the owners of Chestnut (the Heap family) has stayed a lot more varied. The same owners also now own Battersea Park Children's Zoo in London - which has a paltry one species of otter! :D

The centres are both missing one species of otter found in UK zoos - the Smooth-coated. Two other species are in Europe but only found at a single collection each - Northern Sea Otter and Spot-necked Otter.

Chestnut's Giants were the only ones in the UK for many years and Chestnut is currently the only particularly interesting animal collection in my home county of Derbyshire (though thankfully there are several not too far over its borders!).
    • Pertinax
      What is the tally with Giant Otter breeding now at Chestnut? Do you know how many litters and how many surviving cubs?

I believe one of the two male siblings at New Forest has been sent/will go to South America, so they may be looking to pair up the other one.
    • Nisha
      2010 litter: 2.1 born, 2.0 survived - both these males now at New Forest

2011 - 1.1 surviving, the male from this litter was later transfered to New Forest and then on to a collection in Trinidad recently - which has left 1.2 at Chestnut and 2.0 at New Forest

A female cub was also born last year and reached several weeks before dying suddenly
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chestnut Centre Conservation & Wildlife Park
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    9 Jun 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    309 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1071px
    Aperture:
    f/13.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D80
    Date / Time:
    2013:06:09 13:47:49
    Exposure Time:
    10/1600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    300 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).