Join our zoo community
Fargusno

Giant Pacific Octopus (Enteroctopus dofleini)

Giant Pacific Octopus (Enteroctopus dofleini)
Fargusno, 30 Oct 2020
UngulateNerd92 and Salt Merchant like this.
    • Fargusno
      Taken back in July 2019

One of the new deep-sea creatures added in Jakarta Aquarium, along with Giant Isopod, Flower Hat Jelly, Weedy/Leafy Seadragon, Cherry Anthias, Blue Bat Star, Old Wife, Longspine Snipefish and Ornate Boxfish. According to @Nandito, the octopus was already taken off-display.
    • Salt Merchant
      @Fargusno The aquarium in the picture now houses common lionfish (Pterois miles), estuarine stonefish (Synanceia horrida), and De Beaufort's flathead (Cymbacephalus beauforti).

The aquarium housing the seadragons now houses old wife (Enoplosus armatus).

I'm not sure about the rest.
    • Fargusno
      @Nandito That sucks. They went a step backwards since the deep-sea critters are cooler than those lame-ass tropical fish.

I'm also confused why Jakarta Aquarium mixes Cherry Anthias (a Japanese fish) with Ornate Boxfish (an Australian fish). I think the Ornate Boxfish should be moved to the same tank as the Old Wife, then throw in a Port Jackson Shark or a Draughtsboard Shark to make it more awesome!
    • Salt Merchant
      @Fargusno I think they should keep a Indonesian speckled carpetshark (Hemiscyllium freycineti). SeaWorld Ancol planned to keep this species in a Raja Ampat themed aquarium back in the early 2010's. Alongside the Reptile zone, sunfish, and mahi Mahi, this plans was cancelled due to the lack of space and funding.

The stingray aquarium at the Nursery of the Sea zone should be changed into a aquarium housing unique small sized sharks, rays, and guitarfish.
    • Fargusno
      @Nandito

Mahi-mahis are pretty hard to keep in tanks with rocky walls. See Monterey Bay Aquarium and SEA Aquarium, they successfully kept them because they have huge exhibits.
      Hemiscyllium freycineti shouldn't be too hard to keep. They act like Coral Catsharks and doesn't need much space. The shallow area of Nursery of the Sea is a good spot for them.
      Ocean Sunfish is almost impossible for both SeaWorld and JakQuarium. Not enough space, and their diet is pretty hard to fulfill.

The stingray aquarium at the Nursery of the Sea could be stocked with some of the larger bamboo sharks though.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Jakarta Aquarium and Safari
    Uploaded By:
    Fargusno
    Date:
    30 Oct 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    821.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4160px
    Height:
    3120px
    Aperture:
    f/2.2
    Make:
    asus
    Model:
    ASUS_X00TD
    Date / Time:
    2019:07:18 12:54:36
    Exposure Time:
    1/10 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 3147
    Focal Length:
    3.37 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).