Join our zoo community
Blackduiker

Gibbon Conservation Center

Blackduiker, 15 Apr 2012
    • Blackduiker
      A typical exhibit/breeding space.
    • snowleopard
      I realize that this facility is a breeding center for gibbons, but does that excuse the tiny cages for these arboreal apes? If this enclosure was in a mainstream zoo it would be considered below par by many visitors, and it looks like something that could be found at Santa Ana Zoo, Wildlife World Zoo or Sacramento Zoo. To house gibbons in such tiny conditions is very disappointing, and by saying that I do not doubt the honourable intentions of the establishment whatsoever. However, the facility opened in 1976 and all of the cages appear to have come from the same decade. Sad.
    • DavidBrown
      The reality is that the behind the scenes husbandry zones of many zoos looks like this. Not defending it, just stating it as fact. The San Diego Zoo has an entire behind the scenes primate complex that looks like this.

Also, the Sacramento Zoo enclosure has plenty of vertical space although it is aesthetically lacking.
    • Blackduiker
      Small, dated, and rather unsightly, but the vertical space is there. And as the tour guide stated, "we are a brothel for gibbons." They seem to be doing quite well in that department, with small offspring represented amongst all species there and at least one expectant mother.
    • gabsoe
      I have been there as well. My tour guide was different and did not describe the place as yours did. enclosures are approximately 40 ft long, 10 wide, and 12-16 ft high. My guide explained that although not visually appealing for us, they take great care in the placement of the branches so that gibbons can brachiate, a need that is often not met by island exhibits such as that in the SB and Oakland zoo's. Vertical space is there as DavidBrown mentions. With gibbons a big indication of health (physical and mental) is whether or not they breed, obviously with all the offspring they are doing well.I was told that they feed the gibbons 10xday, which is better for their metabolism, keeps them more active throughout the day, and also provides a form of enrichment.

How much consideration should be placed on visual appeal vrs. functionality of an enclosure?

They are also working on improving conditions all around. came across this through their website

CREATE A MORE SUITABLE HABITAT FOR HOUSING GIBBONS | Indiegogo
    • FunkyGibbon
      These enclosures are almost identical to those at the Primate Centre at Cuc Phuong in Vietnam, which has a similar tours only policy. I think this is basically the standard for off-show medium sized primates. It's interesting to see how animals are housed and cared for by professionals when public expectations don't have to be met. Although ideas and standards are always changing these enclosures probably come closer to meeting the true needs of the inhabitants than many zoo exhibits.
      TNT and ThylacineAlive like this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Uploaded By:
    Blackduiker
    Date:
    15 Apr 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    308.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1060px
    Aperture:
    f/9.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D5100
    Date / Time:
    2012:04:14 21:58:15
    Exposure Time:
    1/320 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    20 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).