Join our zoo community
OrangePerson

Giraffe house - under construction

The giraffe will have a yard that is large enough for them to use every day but there will be a race for them to access the African Plains for when conditions are suitable.

Giraffe house - under construction
OrangePerson, 29 May 2012
    • OrangePerson
      The giraffe will have a yard that is large enough for them to use every day but there will be a race for them to access the African Plains for when conditions are suitable.
    • Pertinax
      They don't hang about here, do they?;)
    • kiang
      As someone from this site once wrote (you know who you are)

"a quintet of giraffes are housed in one of those peculiarly British zoo buildings - a combination of agricultural architecture and suburban flowerbeds".

Looks like we have another candidate here, why can't we have a giraffe house like Rotterdam?
    • Pygathrix
      Cost. And if you try building something ambitious and iconic you might have trouble getting rid of it when it turns out to be useless for the animals it was designed for, eg Casson,Mappin etc. But mainly cost.
    • Pertinax
      I think most recent Giraffe Houses in the UK have been in this style, e.g. Cotswold, AA, Port Lympne, Folly Farm(?) Noah's Ark, the Safari Parks etc.

The only exception I know is Marwell which is a decent architecturally-styled complex building- IMO the best building at Marwell though I doubt they would have built something like this in the current economic climate.
    • OrangePerson
      My main regret is that we won't be able to go in it. I love the giraffe house at Chester, the smell and there's nothing like standing right next to Thorn and appreciating just what a truly amazing animal he is.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Yorkshire Wildlife Park
    Uploaded By:
    OrangePerson
    Date:
    29 May 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    187.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    533px
    Aperture:
    f/7.1
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 50D
    Date / Time:
    2012:05:27 11:05:09
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    70 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).