Join our zoo community
Toddy

Givskud Zoo - Giant Otter Exhibit

Part of the Giant Otter Exhibit in Givskud Zoo. This large exhibit (1200 square meters) currently houses two giant otters (Pteronura brasiliensis) and features a large pool as well as natural landscaping. The Giant Otter Tropical House opened in 2012 while the outdoor exhibit followed in 2013. September 2013

Givskud Zoo - Giant Otter Exhibit
Toddy, 7 Nov 2013
David Matos Mendes likes this.
    • Toddy
      Part of the Giant Otter Exhibit in Givskud Zoo. This large exhibit (1200 square meters) currently houses two giant otters (Pteronura brasiliensis) and features a large pool as well as natural landscaping.

The Giant Otter Tropical House opened in 2012 while the outdoor exhibit followed in 2013.

September 2013
      Mathijs likes this.
    • lintworm
      Looking through these photos this is easily one of the best giant otter exhibits in Europe, it is only a shame that there is no underwater view outside...
      Mathijs likes this.
    • Toddy
      That is a shame but there is a decent underwater viewing inside the Tropical House. Taking everything into account this is a very, very nice exhibit. I have seen the exhibits in Dortmund, Duisburg, Hamburg, Leipzig, Doue la Fontaine and Chester and in my opinion this exhibit is superior.
      Mathijs likes this.
    • zooboy28
      Looks like a great exhibit.

Are there any species that could be housed with Giant Otters in a mixed species enclosure? As far as I know all Giant Otter exhibits contain just that species. Perhaps some South American primates?
      Mathijs likes this.
    • mstickmanp
      It does look great! Is the bottom concrete or soft/soil bottom?
      Mathijs likes this.
    • lintworm
      @zooboy, the giant otter exhibit in Leipzig also has saki and silvery marmosets in the trees.
      Mathijs likes this.
    • Brum
      Is that the one in Gondwanaland? If so, I thought that held squirrel monkeys originally, were they far too destructive or something?

And South Lakes want to mix paca with their giant otters, make of that what you will!
      Mathijs likes this.
    • BjoernN
      Fantastic exhibit....

@Brum
      The squirrel monkey at Gondwanaland are living at two islands without other species.
    • Toddy
      As previously mentioned the otters in Gondwanaland in Leipzig shares their habitat with white-faced sakis (Pithecia pithecia) and silvery marmosets (Mico argentatus). This should work as long as the monkeys stay in the canopy (which as extensive as can be seen in the photo below).
      [​IMG]

Givskud Zoo has looked into the possibily of adding South American birds or primates to the tropical house but has so far decided against it due to the ferocious nature of giant otters. Maybe sometime in the future when a canopy has grown in.
      Mathijs likes this.
    • zooboy28
      I'd forgotten about the Gondwanaland primates, thanks for reminding me.

So it sounds like the giant otters are fairly aggressive, and nothing can really be mixed with them, except primates if they stay in the trees?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Givskud Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Toddy
    Date:
    7 Nov 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    339.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1059px
    Height:
    706px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).