Join our zoo community
Toddy

Givskud Zoo - Gorilla enclosure

Some lowland gorillas in a tiny portion of their huge outdoor enclosure in Givskud Zoo, Denmark.The cave provides shade and privacy for the gorillas. I would call this one of the best gorilla exhibits in Europe. August 2007

Givskud Zoo - Gorilla enclosure
Toddy, 8 Feb 2009
    • Toddy
      Some lowland gorillas in a tiny portion of their huge outdoor enclosure in Givskud Zoo, Denmark.The cave provides shade and privacy for the gorillas. I would call this one of the best gorilla exhibits in Europe.
      August 2007
    • Dan
      I can never quite figure out how this enclosure is constructed, although I have seen it featured on Danish television so much! The fence that you see in the background, for instance - is that hotwire? If so, is there another fence or wall or something behind those trees and bushes?

Anyway, it can never be emphasized to much, that the move of the gorillas to this enclosure was a blessing. They used to live in what is now only the third "room" of the indoor chimp exhibit at Copenhagen Zoo. Danish TV, very good when it comes to making tv-programmes about Danish zoos, showed a heartbreakingly wonderful series about this move!
    • Toddy
      @Dan: Yes, the hotwire in the back is the only thing keeping the gorillas in along the rear of the enclosure.
    • James27
      That's brave, is there any more of a barrier on the public viewing side?
      Have they ever had any escapes?
    • Toddy
      @ashley-h: Actually, on second thought, I seem to remember them installing a second hotwire fence behind the first one after Samson's escape. Not sure though... Between the visitors and gorillas is a water moat.

Yes, a few years back Givskud Zoo had some gorillas from a German zoos visiting. Can't remember which one, but possibly Duisburg? They were staying in the second gorilla enclosure while their own exhibit was being renovated. The first thing the male did outside was crossing the water moat and espaping out to the car park near the gorilla enclosure. He hid in a toilet building and was captured without anybody getting hurt.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Givskud Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Toddy
    Date:
    8 Feb 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    472.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1154px
    Height:
    865px
    Aperture:
    f/3.0
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    uD800,S800
    Date / Time:
    0000:00:00 00:00:00
    Exposure Time:
    1/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 64
    Focal Length:
    10.31 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).