Join our zoo community
JBZvolunteer

Glimpse of the Kulan Paddock

The kulan paddock is hidden back from the tram path. the paddock is approximately half to two thirds of an acre in size and is heavily forested. they have a small herd of around four animals.

Glimpse of the Kulan Paddock
JBZvolunteer, 2 Jul 2013
    • JBZvolunteer
      The kulan paddock is hidden back from the tram path. the paddock is approximately half to two thirds of an acre in size and is heavily forested. they have a small herd of around four animals.
    • ungulate nerd
      Besides Kulans, dosnt this place also have Kiangs ?, the wild asses shown on the zoo's website look like Kiangs and not Kulans
    • JBZvolunteer
      Nope, only Kulan.
    • ungulate nerd
      Oh thanks JBZvolunteer, any idea how this place got their Kulans ?
    • jbnbsn99
      About 4 years or so, an equid place went out of business. They had butt-loads of kulans. In order to get something more desirable (read zebras) from then you had to take a few kulan.
    • ungulate nerd
      Great information, thank you !!!
      What was this place called and where was it ?
      It seems that the vast majority of the general public prefer to see zebras over kulans and dont even know what a kulan is for that matter, so I guess it is good that zoos have to take kulans just so guests can learn what they are and how interesting they are.
    • jbnbsn99
      Not as good as you think. The place I say my only Kulans didn't have them 6 months later. It is entirely possible that they sent them to a place to be disposed of. The place I saw them didn't even know what they were.
    • elefante
      Are there kulans in AZA zoos?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Boulder Ridge Wild Animal Park
    Uploaded By:
    JBZvolunteer
    Date:
    2 Jul 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: