Join our zoo community
David Matos Mendes

Goiânia zoo - siamangs in their islands

This is the only zoo in Brazil that holds any kind of gibbons. The simangs live in an island, having hamadryas baboons and spider monkeys as neighbors

Goiânia zoo - siamangs in their islands
    • Onychorhynchus coronatus
      Heres to hoping that these guys get moved to BH zoo soon, they certainly deserve a better enclosure.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Onychorhynchus coronatus
      Yes, please! they definitely need a better home.
      I was expecting Goiânia zoo to be preparing a new enclosure for them, because they were posting some pictures of the renovation of some abandoned islands at the zoo, so I got very happy that they would probably make something good for these endangered asian guys, but soon I found out it was supposed to be home of some capuchin monkeys they would bring to the zoo. Also, they didn't really renovated the islands as they said they would, they just added water around them again and mowed the lawn...
      Besides that, I don't think Goiânia zoo is in position to bring new animals, but to try to give better lifes to the ones they already have, but what can I do...:(

I hope BH makes plans to get the guard of these two Siamangs...
      @David Matos Mendes Sometimes these things get stuck as just ideas that dont develop into anything. The best thing is to keep pushing for changes but I dont know how it could be done for these siamangs. Have you emailed the zoo or BH zoo ?
    • David Matos Mendes
      Goiânia zoo's social media is unactivaded because of the elections, so it's difficult to contact them... they also don't seem to have an email for direct contact with visitors unfortunately... Their contact with public is not very effective in general

I have talked to BH zoo's director recently, but the only possible plans for now are for the return of giraffe Ayana, from zoo Itatiba and the travel of a male giraffe to the zoo, and it might only start to happen when this pandemic gets better... I actually forgot to ask about the siamangs directly, but unfortunately, the plans for them look stuck, for what I can see... Gonna talk to a friend of mine who is a biologist at BH, and gonna see what she says... I'm really worried that these animals get too old for reproduction; it would be a big loss for conservation, so whatever it is the change, it needs to happen soon.
      @David Matos Mendes Yes, I definitely agree that these siamang should be a priority for captive breeding or even just being at a zoo with better resources where they can have a larger space that better accomodates their needs. I mean these lesser apes are a rarity for Brazil as they are the only ones of their species within the country. It is quite sad for me to see them kept in such an inadequate enclosure.

I agree with you that BH zoo would ultimately be the best place for these animals to be moved to. I really hope that the original plan to move them there is remembered by both of these zoos and put into action.
    • David Matos Mendes
      Yes, so do I. BH has shown really good primate breeding management at all; with the gorillas, wooly monkeys and howler monkeys nowadays, and with chimpanzees and tamarins in the past decade. Hope they tell me this plan is at least in the non priorities, but not forgotten...
      @David Matos Mendes Yes, I hope so too, I think that the addition of siamangs to their collection would only make it an even more interesting zoo.

Honestly what could be lost by moving them there ? It is a win-win situation in my opinion.
    • David Matos Mendes
      Yes, totally agree. Nothing to loose, chances to have reproduction and empty enclosures that are totally open to renovations that could bring a good environment. That would be really awesome; and you know I would personally freak out for having this species in my home zoo, and so near me to make frequent visits.
    • Enzo
      A very unusual, but nice surprise. I want to visit Goiânia and Brasília this year just to see the giant armadillo, the siamangs and mouflons.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Enzo When I visited Goiânia, I was upset about some pretty bad exhibits, but I think you'll have a quite better experience, once many renovations have been going on since then. Also, the zoo seems to be keeping aoudads again, besides the mouflons.
      About Brasília, the giant armadillo is offshow, for what I know. When I went there, in october 2019, there was an exhibit being built for the species, but it seemed to be stuck in the same way for quite a while. With the renovations happening this year, it's possible that they finish it in time for your visit. I also wanna return to Brasilia zoo this year to see the new spaces.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Goiânia Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    David Matos Mendes
    Date:
    14 Sep 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    1080px
    Date / Time:
    2018:01:28 22:14:20

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).