Join our zoo community
Echobeast

Gopher snake exhibit

Pretty much the rest of the snake exhibits look the same as this one. Glass pebble substrate with different climbing enrichment and each has a moss hide. This design is the one that will probably be the one that is criticized the most but all the snakes needs are met with this design.

Gopher snake exhibit
Echobeast, 25 Mar 2019
    • KevinB
      This display looks much more like some kind of questionable modern art installation than a decent zoo exhibit. Even if the snake's needs are indeed met here, I would still say it's less than idea. An at least somewhat naturalistic set-up would still probably be preferable.
    • Giant Panda
      Thanks for uploading these photos @Echobeast, but I'm very dubious this meets the inhabitant's needs. As an example, the transparent tube doesn't provide any privacy. I think it's telling that this animal is hidden to the fullest extent possible behind the only visual barrier in the photo. From a tactile and thermoregulatory perspective, I absolutely disagree that snakes can't tell the difference between this and more naturalistic surfaces. I'm also struggling to see how the design will positively change visitor perceptions of reptiles. Even the signage looks like it would deter a casual visitor. Whilst I applaud innovative herp displays, this exhibit seems unnecessary and unsuitable.
    • PossumRoach
      The thing that's holding the flower looks as if it could hurt the snake.
    • CheeseChameleon1945
      And the pebbles could easily be shifted around and may even get choked on by the snakes.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Echobeast
    Date:
    25 Mar 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px
    Aperture:
    f/2.2
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 6s
    Date / Time:
    2019:03:24 15:46:42
    Exposure Time:
    1/30 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    4.15 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).