Join our zoo community
OrangePerson

Gordon - Bornean orangutan

Gordon - Bornean orangutan
OrangePerson, 9 Jun 2012
    • OrangePerson
      Gordon has matured rapidly since the enclosure was split last year.
    • Gigit
      Wow! What a change!
    • Pertinax
      Now that is one interesting photo!:)

I remember Gordon as a tiny(premature?) baby in their first nursery. Some change to this. Almost worth a visit just to see him now.;)
    • Waddi
      Wow, hasn't he grown.
    • Jordan-Jaguar97
      He's grown a lot. I believe when younger males have been separated from the main group or separated from individuals they start to mature more. This has been the case in Blackpool's case with the current male they have 'Raman'. He was separated from the females in the 2010 throughout the winter and although he hasn't matured a lot his face pads seem to have increased quite rapidly.
    • Gigit
      Interesting. I've wondered why Paignton's 14 year old male, Demo, still only looks 'sub-adult' despite having 3 females to himself. He spends most of his time with 2 of them. But I've read that orangs have the widest range of variation in timing of maturation among apes.

It's really only the scar round his eye that tells you that this is Gordon!
    • Pertinax
      Sumatran males can in some cases, take up to 18 years before they become padded, though not always so long- depends very much on the individual, the conditions and whether there is another older male nearby which might act to supress the development.

Borneans seem to mature somewhat earlier, but within the same time-frame. I remember Twycross' original male 'Jod' who although quite small- almost stunted, was fully padded at a very early age, about 10. 12-15 is more normal.
    • wenxue
      Flip he's enourmous! It's wonderful to see such a little un become all grown up.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre
    Uploaded By:
    OrangePerson
    Date:
    9 Jun 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    106.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    542px
    Height:
    600px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 50D
    Date / Time:
    2012:06:02 10:46:31
    Exposure Time:
    1/50 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    300 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).