Join our zoo community
Chris79

Gorilla cage, Howletts, 14 March 09

One of Howletts four large gorilla cages, a singular exhibit design which has brought the Aspinall Foundation unparallel success in breeding these apes. Naturalistic it isn't, but the foraging behaviour and interactions of the large gorilla groups is fascinating.

Gorilla cage, Howletts, 14 March 09
Chris79, 15 Mar 2009
    • Chris79
      One of Howletts four large gorilla cages, a singular exhibit design which has brought the Aspinall Foundation unparallelled success in breeding these apes. Naturalistic it isn't, but the foraging behaviour and interactions of the large gorilla groups is fascinating.
    • snowleopard
      The metal cages at Howletts are some of the ugliest enclosures for great apes on the planet, and the lack of anything remotely realistic to the gorilla's natural environment is puzzling. However, the cages are a brilliant area for the apes to explore and the breeding record is amazing. I'm constantly intrigued by the praise for these exhibits, but I applaud Howletts for the phenomenal success rate at this British zoo and hope that they continue to supply the world with gorillas in the future. I find it immensely fascinating to discuss the nature of the enclosures, and at the same time I realize that the zoo is a world leader when it comes to the conservation of a fantastic and critically important species. I've come to recognize the achievements of Howletts, and I'm attempting to overlook the lack of realism in the steel cages. I'd love to visit one day!
    • taun
      It simulates there natural enivornment, simple done without the planting or constant need to replant. Covered roof just like the tree canopy, lots of climbing opportunities just like trees in the forest and a bed of straw similar to the natural low planting found deep in forests.

Just because it hasn't got plants doesn't mean it's not simulate natural environment for the inmates.
    • Maguari
      I'm assuming you meant plants in that last sentence! :)

And I agree entirely. The main aim should be to allow animals to behave as naturally as possible. What the enclosure looks like is pure aesthetics, and as such, highly subjective.
    • taun
      Ooops thanks, Thats what I get for quickly typing a message when I should be working! :rolleyes:
    • Pertinax
      You can't get past it, they ARE very ugly and basically just cages yet at the same time they offer the Gorillas far more usage and enrichment than virtually all the large modern & open enclosures in other zoos can do. Covered roof, 100% climbing space, straw floors for foraging etc, plenty of equipment all contribute to this, plus the large 'familiy' groups living adjacent to each other for additonal stimulation and interest.

At Port Lympne the almost identically designed enclosures have large open fields attached to them- these are hardly used by the Gorillas except at the feeding sessions, proving which sort of enclosure they prefer..
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Howletts Wild Animal Park
    Uploaded By:
    Chris79
    Date:
    15 Mar 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    627.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    1080px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-LX1
    Date / Time:
    2009:03:14 16:04:28
    Exposure Time:
    10/1000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    6.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).