Join our zoo community
Zebraduiker

Gorilla Exhibit

Theer is a second, smaller exhibit for the gorillas and drills. It's planned to open all ape outdoor exhibits mid june.

Gorilla Exhibit
Zebraduiker, 24 Apr 2009
Rajang-GOAT and iluvwhales like this.
    • Zebraduiker
      Theer is a second, smaller exhibit for the gorillas and drills. It\'s planned to open all ape outdoor exhibits mid june.
    • Pertinax
      It looks good to me, despite the brand new feel. They have planted several young trees in the foreground which(provided they are hotwired) will provide cover/shade areas when they grow. There are dead trees for climbing etc. Hopefully the thin short grass will soon grow into denser vegetation. Its what I would expect from Frankfurt- a very experienced zoo with all Apes.
    • Zebraduiker
      The offical opening is planned to Mid June, I think, the grass will be much higher until then.
      I'm curious, if it will works to keep the Gorillas together with Drills and gurezas.
    • Pertinax
      Do you mean a 2nd smaller outddoor enclosure as well as the main one?

It remains to be seen how Gorillas/drills/guerezas works out- it should be okay but who knows?
    • Toddy
      I first visited Frankfurt Zoo in 2007 when Borgori-wald was being built and I am very excited to see what it looks like finished when I return this summer
    • zooman
      Seems to always come down to the individual personalities of the primates not nescesarily the species.
    • zooman
      More pictures would be greatley appreciated.
    • PAT
      Are there any drill and colobus exhibits out there? I think it will come down to those to species getting along more then the gorillas.
      Both species are much faster then the gorillas and could easily get out of the way.
    • snowleopard
      I'd like to see far more trees in the Frankfurt Zoo gorilla exhibit, or at least some type of substantial canopy NOW rather than at an unknown time in the future. Here are 3 terrific gorilla enclosures, and I admit that I'm choosing the best of their kind. But what is wrong in aiming for the top?:)

Thick forest at the Bronx Zoo:

http://www.zoochat.com/547/bronx-zoo-congo-gorilla-forest-41195/

Thick forest at Disney's Animal Kingdom:

http://www.zoochat.com/277/pangani-forest-trail-54591/

The outdoor canopy at the Woodland Park Zoo:

http://www.zoochat.com/622/gorilla-exhibit-viewing-window-75725/

Here is a second shot from the Seattle zoo, which specializes in naturalistic exhibits:

http://www.zoochat.com/622/gorilla-exhibit-75706/
    • Pertinax
      Of these three I think there's not much to chose between the Bronx and Pangani trail exhibits. But how do they prevent damage to the trees/vegetation- is a lot of it hotwired so it only looks as if the Gorillas can go in it- or can they use almost everywhere except the growing trees?

Woodland Park's looks more open -but I know it hasn't always looked as mature as it does now... Jersey's, once very open, is probably now equivalent to this and so are Bristol And Paignton Zoo's islands, but these all have(some) mature vegetation rather than mature tree cover. One plant that grows on Paignton's island is Japanese Knotweed- it is a tall tough weed with large heartshaped leaves and reddish stem, it is generally regarded as a nuisance- but it also looks very like a tropical 'understorey' and provides great cover for the Gorillas too.

Apenheul is probably the Gorilla island with the most mature TREE cover in European zoos- Valllee de Singes in france also built their island to include a small grove of mature trees too.

There's nothing wrong with aiming for the best. But I can see the problems when a zoo(e.g. ZSL or Frankfurt) is starting from scratch with a new enclosure. Next year, I think Basel are finally building large outdoor enclosures for their Apes(with watermoats of course;))- I wonder how they will turn out too- I've seen a plan but that all it is so far.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Frankfurt
    Uploaded By:
    Zebraduiker
    Date:
    24 Apr 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    124.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    600px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-FZ28
    Date / Time:
    2009:04:23 10:51:29
    Exposure Time:
    10/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).