Join our zoo community
okapikpr

Gorilla Habitat - Myombe Reserve

Photo taken May 2008.

Gorilla Habitat - Myombe Reserve
    • okapikpr
      Photo taken May 2008.
    • snowleopard
      I always think that this and the chimp exhibit at Busch Gardens are magnificent looking habitats. Does anyone know how large the enclosures are? Also, are the chimps allowed to ride the rollercoasters at the park or do they fail the height requirement?
    • mstickmanp
      Wow, great looking exhibit!
    • BlackRhino
      It does not look as great in person I can tell you that, but it is a nice exhibit. no where near the best though.
    • zooman
      When this opened 15-40 years ago app. It was great l thought! The mist ect.

Actually was able to get a look at the off exhibit areas. All keepers wore surgical masks and outfits! Does anyone Know if this still happens?
    • okapikpr
      Its usually a general husbandry practice at most zoos to wear at least surgical masks when working with apes, due to the relatively closeness between humans and apes...a greater risk of zoonotic disease transfer.
    • zooman
      Really!! I have gone behind the scenes at allot of gorilla collections. This was the first and only 1. I have seen this. Not doubting you, l would think its more of a american thing maybe?

At Busch they had the whole outfit pants, top, gloves, mask! I wonder what the gorillas thought:p
    • Sun Wukong
      @okapipr: Unfortunately not in all zoos; I have seen primate keepers in many zoos in America and Europe (not to mention Asia and Africa...) work without any masks.
    • Dan
      I am very impressed with the pictures from Busch Gardens shown here at Zoochat. So many fantastic exhibits! The landscaping design is stunning and actually reminds me of DAK, here and there.
    • Zoogoer2000
      Amazing looking exhibit with no hot-wire in sight but where are the climbing structures and enrichment.Then again,with such a realitic exhibit,who needs that.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Busch Gardens Tampa
    Uploaded By:
    okapikpr
    Date:
    19 Dec 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count: