Join our zoo community
Zooplantman

Gorilla Treeway

Gorilla Treeway
Zooplantman, 1 Sep 2015
    • Falcosparverius
      How are the gorillas, being predominantly terrestrial (as well as the lions and tigers) adjusting to Philadelphia's arboreal trail system? I'm sure this is very enriching and innovative, but can these the trailway compensate for a larger enclosure?
    • zooman
      Hi Zooplantman,
      Wondering what are your thoughts on the arboreal trail system?
    • Zooplantman
      For a small zoo like Philadelphia that cannot expand and also does not have access to vast amounts of money for new exhibits, it is the most innovative idea in zoo exhibitry and animal care in a generation.
      The Treetop Trail (for small primates) is especially inspiring. The animals have more enriching experiences in it than their cousins in zoos that offer much larger enclosures. Even the gorillas have more choice about where they can be, what sort of environment and alone or together than in any zoo I can think of.
      It is not for every zoo and not to everyone's taste (I know some zoo directors who would never have it in their facility) but in Philadelphia it was an inspired move and other zoos should (and are) create their own
      Also, it is not at all inexpensive to build or to operate, so only zoos where the animals can benefit would consider it.
    • zooman
      Thank you for your thoughts, the idea of giving primates choices is very interesting as an extension of enrichment that is generally more focused on activities.

Will have to make a visit, last visited this zoo in 1988...
    • jbnbsn99
      I'm still not sure I understand the why of this. It looks like a transfer chute to nowhere. What's the benefit of having it off the ground? Surely that would raise the cost and make it much harder for the keepers.
    • Zooplantman
      As I understand it, the trails are made available to a variety of animals during the day. This trail could also be available to the orangs and it goes along the entire back of the PECO Reserve.
      It also appeared that this Trail connects to the Tiger trail and in theory the tiger could be up here (instead of the gorilla). It looks as though the gorillas would not be given access to the Tiger Trail, though, as that Trail isn't sturdy enough for them.

The Treetops Trail, for example, includes a loop coming from the small primates building. It further branches off, running past the Amphibian/Reptile Building all the way to the PECO Primate building. I saw spider monkeys in one end and ring-tail lemurs in the other. The animal staff could allow the lemurs to go all the way cross the zoo to the Small primates or limit them to just a section. So great flexibility (=many many doors)

It is much more management for the keepers but the animals get much increased territory and enrichment opportunities.
    • jbnbsn99
      I like the idea of using the trail system to essentially create rotational habitats/exhibits like they say is the plan for one of the future phases.

I'd love to see a map and design specs to see how this is implemented.
    • Gulo gulo
      The Apes trails are large enough for either Orang or Gorilla to travel with ease. The Cats trail, isn't as large and the Apes can't use it. However, in colder weather, the cats can use the Apes trails. In the future, they would like to have exhibits where the animals can travel to. If that will happen, who knows. The Bear trail has been postponed for now, as has the ability for the Hippos to use the hoofstock trail. The trails have given the animals glimpses into other parts of the zoo, sounds and various landscapes. Instead of being confined to a walled in area, the Apes can travel through the trails and see Tigers passing through their trail and vice versa. While they are chutes in essence, instead of being confined in square feet containment, this allows actual travel in distance. Whereas the animals have to walk around an area say, 50' x50' to gain some distance and see the same things daily. The trails allow the animals to travel and forage for food and that is far more enriching than cardboard boxes strewn about an exhibit or other devices. Stimulating the animals mentally and physically, will benefit the animals overall. If the Zoo fully implements their trail systems, once said and done, the animals can travel good distance over a campus that has no room for expansion being landlocked on all sides. The Center for Great Apes, has been using Aerial Trailways for their Orangs and Chimps since 1995. With over 5,500 feet of trailways connected to various destination pods, their animals can traverse their forested campus safely in a stimulating and enriching way.
    • Zooplantman
      You might find this interesting
      Next Generation Rotation
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Philadelphia Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Zooplantman
    Date:
    1 Sep 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    453.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1069px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-G2
    Date / Time:
    2015:09:01 12:12:58
    Exposure Time:
    10/1250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    14 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).