snowleopard

Great Ape House - Now Empty

July 18th, 2010.

Great Ape House - Now Empty
snowleopard, 29 Aug 2010
    • snowleopard
      July 18th, 2010.
    • snowleopard
      The Great Ape House opened in 1966 with 7 gibbons, 5 chimpanzees, 2 orangutans and 2 gorillas. Almost immediately it was deemed obsolete by many critics, and I am genuinely worried that Indianapolis Zoo's future orangutan "church tower" could fall victim to similar circumstances. Some architectural choices stand the test of time while others fail miserably...
    • IanRRobinson
      Cat-Man likes this.
    • team tapir
      While exhibit exteriors might appear similar there is no way a ape house built in 1966 is going to compare to one constructed now.

Team Tapir
    • JBZvolunteer
      It's such a cool building architecturally. Maybe they could transform the inside of it into a walk through bat exhibit.
    • FMtRIS
      Awesome idea JBZVolunteer! I was just there Sunday and we walked all the way around the building and remarked about its structural features. I don't know if it is able to be occupied though. I saw some foundation cracks but those might have been superficial to the landscaping or outdoor habitats. KC Zoo has no bats and it seems like such a waste to let this building just deteriorate. KC Zoo has alot of neat buildings, that are just empty or being used for storage, etc. There used to be a "field station" exhibit on the pathway to the gorilla and leopard enclosures and its just sitting there unused.
    • Viper
      I personally think that an avian exhibit would be a perfect match to this unique building. (similar to the philidelhia zoo's)

Viper
    • Newzooboy
      How did it work? Were there outdoor enclosures? Was the middle section a cage?
    • team tapir
      During our visit to the KC Zoo there did not appear to ever be outdoor enclosures.

Team Tapir
    • snowleopard
      The Ape House opened in 1966 but has now sat empty since 2003. I will quote from the zoo's highly informative 2009 history book:

"The design was a unique modern concept. The 55-foot-tall circular building was divided into four sections for the apes: gorillas, chimpanzees, orangutans and gibbons. In the center was a small tropical aviary and a glass-enclosed tower. Hailed as the 'Monkey Hilton', it cost about $327,000 to build. Seven gibbons, five chimpanzees, two orangutans and two gorillas were in residence for the grand opening July 7, 1966."

"With about five times as much space inside and 25 times as much space outside, the primates' new quarters were an improvement. However, they were just as empty of enviornmental stimulation as the little cages had been. The outside exhibit was a large, plain concrete slab and a 13-foot deep moat. The space inside was equally sterile and encased in 1-inch safety glass."

"Many people were not impressed by this new exhibit, despite its architectural flair. Director Ernest Hagler even suggested moving out the animals and turning the building into a gift shop or restaurant."
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Kansas City Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    29 Aug 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: