Join our zoo community
geomorph

Great Bear Wilderness - Wolf Woods - Mexican Gray Wolf Exhibit

This new North American themed exhibit complex includes a large American bison exhibit, a bald eagle aviary, a grizzly bear exhibit with underwater viewing, a polar bear exhibit with underwater viewing, another polar bear exhibit with den viewing, a shop called Bear Crossings, a counter service restaurant called Bison Prairie Grill, and an indoor classroom with views into the bison and second polar bear exhibits. It also incorporates the existing Wolf Woods exhibit for Mexican Gray Wolf, and acts as the entrance to the existing Salt Creek Wilderness nature trail loop.

Great Bear Wilderness - Wolf Woods - Mexican Gray Wolf Exhibit
geomorph, 21 May 2010
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • geomorph
      This new North American themed exhibit complex includes a large American bison exhibit, a bald eagle aviary, a grizzly bear exhibit with underwater viewing, a polar bear exhibit with underwater viewing, another polar bear exhibit with den viewing, a shop called Bear Crossings, a counter service restaurant called Bison Prairie Grill, and an indoor classroom with views into the bison and second polar bear exhibits. It also incorporates the existing Wolf Woods exhibit for Mexican Gray Wolf, and acts as the entrance to the existing Salt Creek Wilderness nature trail loop.
    • Blackduiker
      Now this is an outstanding wolf habitat.
    • geomorph
      Wolves have emerged as one type of animal that are consistently getting excellent exhibits everywhere I see them.
    • snowleopard
      I agree wholeheartedly. For some mammals there are more than a dozen outstanding exhibits scattered throughout American zoos, and wolves and otters appear to be at the top of the heap. There are so many great otter exhibits (mainly river otter) and this wolf exhibit in Brookfield is one of the best of its kind. It's a pity that the rest of Great Bear Wilderness hasn't lived up to the excellence of the older Wolf Woods.
    • Arizona Docent
      Very true. I wonder why that is? Maybe because they are easily contained (unlike cats) and don't destroy foliage (unlike bears).
    • reduakari
      Yes, and they are relatively easy to obtain and breed. A long history of "Wolf Woods" at various zoos, long before other animals were exhibited in ways other than cages or grottoes, underscores the point.
    • Otter Lord
      Exactly what I thought when I saw this enclosure a week ago. The topography and placement of objects is great.

But what also is amazing is the fact that the exhibit is mixed with a great beaver exhibit and a bald eagle aviary. Phenomenal ideas, and the wolves cant see through the glass viewing giving them them additional privacy.

EDIT: scrap that the Beaver and the eagle are in Cleveland, I wondered why my recall was revealing two eagle exhibits in brookfield. However the glass viewing is still really cool
    • TropicWorld54
      This exhibit looks scary at night.
    • Lexlanson
      Definitely one of Brookfield's best exhibits right now!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Brookfield Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    geomorph
    Date:
    21 May 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: