Join our zoo community
Tomek

Greater Bamboo Lemur (Prolemur simus)

Greater Bamboo Lemur (Prolemur simus)
Tomek, 8 Aug 2014
    • Pacarana
      Does anyone know if there has been any recent breeding of this species within any European zoo?
    • TeaLovingDave
      I believe Koln bred the species this year - although I do not know if the offspring survived.

Either way, I fear this species - along with the Chinese Pangolin - is the likeliest taxon at species level I have seen in a zoo to go extinct within my lifetime. :(
    • lintworm
      @TLD, there is still hope for this species. This year a new large population was discovered in Madagascar, I believe it was in the Andriantantely massif and breeding has finally started in zoos. Cologne is breeding succesfully now, with 3 succesfull births in the past years and also in French zoos, breeding is taking place. Also the only facility on Madagascar where they are kept, Ivoloina (part of EEP) has a pair with 2 offspring (december 2013).

But there is need for more holders, something this species really deserves....
    • gentle lemur
      The pair at Port Lympne bred in 2012 and 2013.

Alan
    • TeaLovingDave
      Very pleased to hear this! It could still go either way though - so I agree we need rather more holders of the species. Off the top of my head, I'd love to see this species arrive at Hamerton, Magdeburg and Chester, all of which I think would do well with the species and whose general *feel* seems suited to the taxon.
    • lintworm
      Here is the news article of the new findings:
      Panda lemur making a comeback - Africa Geographic Blog

The real discovery was already a bit earlier.

Btw. I could also see Mulhouse & Apenheul as potential holders of this species. The genetic base of the captive population is very small though, most individuals originate from the same 2 founders....
    • gentle lemur
      I suspect that there are more potential holders than captive specimens needing to be held, unfortunately.

Alan
    • Pacarana
      Good news to hear they are breeding some!

Though I can't help but wonder if this species will die out in zoos fairly soon. The population is small and definitely not close to a zoo's target. And with a possible estimate of 600 (seems over projected but that is what I read in lint worm's link) I don't see zoos sourcing anymore individuals.

What always gets my head spinning though about madagascar is that I seem to always see wild caught individuals in zoos and in the pet trade. Never any lemurs though! Just last year both the streaked tenrecs were available in limited numbers from a shipment, Simon's Rodents sources common tenrecs for people who are devoted to the species and from what I can remember, Capital of Texas Zoo got a fossa and malagasy civet from madagascar.

Though these other malagasy mammals are not as protected (not sure what division of CITES they all are) as the greater bamboo lemur, I still can see a place like RSCC picking up a pair. Is this crazy to think?
    • lintworm
      There sometimes are wild caught lemurs, last year 4 aye ayes were transferred to a zoo. They were captured by villagers that cut down a forest where these lemurs lived. And there are also some wild-caught sifaka's in Malagasy zoos. But the authorities are really strict on their lemurs and they are very difficult to export....

The small founder basis makes it maybe difficult, but certainly not impossible, there are enough examples of species that have made it, with a small founder basis. We will see how it develops, because in the coming years I expect some new holders, based on the relatively large number of offspring.
    • Onychorhynchus coronatus
      @TeaLovingDave thats a very sombre thought, do you still believe that ?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Port Lympne Wild Animal Park
    Uploaded By:
    Tomek
    Date:
    8 Aug 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: