Javan Rhino

Greater black-backed gull?

Can anybody confirm if that's correct?

Greater black-backed gull?
Javan Rhino, 21 Nov 2012
    • Javan Rhino
      Can anybody confirm if that\'s correct?
    • Maguari
      Lesser Black-back, I'd say - wings look more slaty than jet black, they're in quite a big gang, and a Greater would properly dwarf those Black-headeds.
    • lintworm
      I would say this is just a ordinary Larus argentatus....
    • Pertinax
      I think apart from the Black-headeds in the foreground, those are all Herring gulls?
    • IanRRobinson
      Gull splitting has got pretty serious these days. I think that these are Herring Gulls, but at any rate definitely not Great Black-backs. That is a huge bird, bigger than all UK birds of prey other than the two eagles, and with a very dark mantle, as Maguari says.
    • Pertinax
      I've had a look in a couple of my field guides- but now not sure whether these are Herring or Lesser B.B. -mantle/back colour of these birds seems intermediate between what is shown in the books. Typical!:rolleyes:
    • bongorob
      I had the same trouble Pertinax, however I'm going for lesser black-backed gull, the grey colouration seems too dark for herring gull. The driver who took us around Knowsley thought they were lesser black-backed gull as well.
    • gentle lemur
      I find the best distinguishing feature is often leg colour (LBB=yellowish) but it doesn't help here. I still agree with Maguari that they are LBB, the appearance of the grey does vary with the light but these are too dark for herring gulls. This is a very interesting example of a ring species (or superspecies) which is a cline with the mantle colour getting essentially paler going east around the globe from Scandinavia: the herring gull is the other end of the cline that now overlaps with our lesser black backs and therefore appears to be a different species.

Alan
    • Pertinax
      Fascinating! Where would we be without Zoochat!:) I think the general concensus is that they are LBB's, the colour is too dark for Herring Gull, as several folk have now pointed out.
    • zoogiraffe
      When they were flying the legs were yellowish,hence me saying they were lbb!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Knowsley Safari Park
    Uploaded By:
    Javan Rhino
    Date:
    21 Nov 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: