Join our zoo community
Maguari

Greater Grison at De Paay, 02/06/12

[i]Galicitis vittata[/i] A species to be seen at no other European zoo. This was as far as it came out of the pophole - from comparing notes with Shorts I think they have recently moved to a new enclosure.

Greater Grison at De Paay, 02/06/12
Maguari, 6 Jun 2012
Kakapo likes this.
    • Maguari
      Galicitis vittata

A species to be seen at no other European zoo. This was as far as it came out of the pophole - from comparing notes with Shorts I think they have recently moved to a new enclosure.
    • Toddy
      Didn't they used to keep grisons in Plzen Zoo until at least 2009? Or am I mistaken?
    • Maguari
      I'm not aware of them being at Plzen and Zootierliste has no former holders listed outside of the UK (4 zoos)/Germany (5 zoos), plus the one Dutch current holder of course. Not impossible though.

EDIT: Just checked Lesser (G. cuja) as well and that's even rarer, with only Chester and Berlin listed as former holders and none currently.
    • Toddy
      Just realised that I might be mistaken them for zorillas even though neither they are listed on Zootierliste as being in Plzen in 2009. I was sure I saw one though...
    • Maguari
      Plzen currently have African Striped Weasels, and have since 2008 according to Zootierliste, though these weren't on show when I was there in 2010 - they seem to be currently though (and hopefully still will be come Zoohistorica in Septmeber!) so may have been in 2009.
    • Pertinax
      Looks like a direct cross between a Wolverine and a Ratel. Would be nice to see in UK again but some hope.....
    • Shorts
      I can see where your coming from with that thought. In the flesh it was smaller than both species you mention and I was surprised by how long (and thin) it was compared to it's girth (nearer otter proportions in this respect rather than, say, a skunk).

They'd indeed be great to see in the UK or just more established in Europe but, like yourself, I think think it's unlikely.
    • IanRRobinson
      The UK fixation with meerkats is taking up a great deal of terrestrial carnivore exhibit space that mioght serve to hold a greater level of diversity. Grisons, properly displayed, would be a very nice exhibit.
    • Arizona Docent
      Yes, ratel was the first thing that came to my mind. This is a great post - the lack of mustelids in US zoos is depressing for a carnivore lover like myself.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Uilen- en Dierenpark "de Paay"
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    6 Jun 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    145 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1071px
    Aperture:
    f/4.8
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D80
    Date / Time:
    2012:06:02 10:48:54
    Exposure Time:
    10/1600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    195 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).