Join our zoo community
Javan Rhino

Greater sulfur-crested cockatoo

Greater sulfur-crested cockatoo
Javan Rhino, 4 Jun 2013
    • Chlidonias
      seems to be rather lacking in sulphur. You might find it to be an umbrella cockatoo instead :)
    • Javan Rhino
      It is sulphur - the crest is just down. Other pictures I took have the yellow crest - also, zootierliste shows that this is the species they hold and whilst not 100% reliable, I would go with it :)
    • Chlidonias
      okay I will take your word for it then if you saw the crest. I would have expected to see at least part of the crest on this photo though, even if it was down, which is why I thought you must have erred when labelling.
    • Javan Rhino
      I think it is just the angle, the attached photo of the same bird shows it a bit better :)
    • Chlidonias
      yes I can just make out the crest on that photo :D
    • Hix
      These are photos of two different birds: the periothalmic ring is larger and bluer in the Sulphur Crest, and the markings on the mandible are completely different. The colour on the underside of the tail is yellow in a Sulphur-crest, not orange-ish.

I agree the first photo is a White (Umbrella) Cockatoo.
    • Chlidonias
      well spotted! I must admit I hadn't opened the thumbnail to a larger size, but comparing the two photos the bird in the thumbnail appears to be the bird in the background of the main photo (comparing their respective periophthalmic rings).
    • Hix
      Which would make sense as it is behind the upright branch in both photos.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Palmengarten
    Uploaded By:
    Javan Rhino
    Date:
    4 Jun 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: