Join our zoo community
Kakapo

Green spiny lizard (Sceloporus malachiticus)

At reptile house. Shares exhibit with Malagasy ground boa

Green spiny lizard (Sceloporus malachiticus)
Kakapo, 13 Oct 2018
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • Onychorhynchus coronatus
      How an earth is it that these lizards are not constricted and eaten by the boa ?
    • Kakapo
      I've seen predator-prey shared exhibits in various places. One very famous for New Yorkers would be the Malagasy cichlids with Nile crocodiles at Bronx. The most striking example (uploaded in the gallery too) is in my local aquarium, where they kept a Yellow anaconda with brown basilisks, tucan fish, and Pallas's long-tongued bats.
      There is a specific thread for these kind of exhibits somewhere in the forum. The most shocking one that I've readed is lions with meerkats (of course it didn't ended well).
      I think that keeping a predator fully satisfied always, plus being in company of their prey since newborn but never fed with alive or even unprocessed prey, sometimes can work. I remember many years ago a shop that had in the window a cat with two canaries, all of them sleeping together.
    • Onychorhynchus coronatus
      @Kakapo I just find it really hard to believe that even a well fed boa would show no interest in these lizards as prey.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZOO Antwerpen
    Uploaded By:
    Kakapo
    Date:
    13 Oct 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    419.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    814px
    Height:
    500px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).