Join our zoo community
Tim May

Grevy's zebra; Marwell; 2nd August 2009

Grevy's zebra; Marwell; 2nd August 2009
Tim May, 2 Aug 2009
amur leopard and UngulateNerd92 like this.
    • EquusGrevyi
      Do Marwell house both Chapmans and Grevy's zebra?
    • zooman1
      They do keep both and also have Hartmanns Mountain Zebra to
    • Tim May
      And in addition to Grevy's zebra, Chapman's zebra and Hartmann's mountain zebra, Marwell also has Somali wild ass and Przewalski's horse too so there is a good equid collection.
    • EquusGrevyi
      I've never heard of a collection to house all the main three zebra species!
    • EquusGrevyi
      Wow! Quite the set! I do adore Przewalski's horses as I feel they're underestimated and overlooked in most collections but I have never seen Somali Wild Ass before!
    • FunkyGibbon
      Tierpark Berlin, as TLD once put it, has 'the complete set of equine taxa'. It's cool to see them, especially the Kiang and Kulan.

EDIT: *at the species level.
    • Tim May
      It is unusual for a zoo to have three zebra species and exhibiting three is something that I particularly like about Marwell.

Following the classification of the family Equidae in “Ungulate Taxonomy” (Groves & Grubb; 2011) then Berlin Tierpark does not have every species as, according to this work, the Cape mountain zebra and Hartmann’s mountain zebra are two distinct species; similarly the Indian wild ass (khur) is also listed as a separate species.
    • FunkyGibbon
      You are correct of course, although I wonder if the Tierpark accepts these splits; after all, they still label their tigers as Indochinese.
    • Bib Fortuna
      Because THEY are Indochinese Tigers-the genes of the"new subspecies"Malayasian tiger are complete identical with the Indochinese ones-no diffrence between, so its the same subspecies.

Mountain,-Grevy and Common Zebra are defenitily three diffrent SPECIES, so its correct to split in three;)

By the way-also Sigean and Dvur Kralove and San Diego WAP have all three Zebra-Species, and in the past, when Zoos were Museums with living animal"collections", european zoos ( London, Amsterdam, Antwerp, Bronx etc) had three zebra-species.Fortunately, these time are almost over:):):)
    • Tim May
      Nobody was suggesting that Grevy’s zebra, mountain zebra and common zebra should not be split; the discussion was on whether Cape mountain and Hartmann’s mountain zebra are different species (as per Groves and Grubb).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Marwell Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Tim May
    Date:
    2 Aug 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: