Join our zoo community
JerseyLotte

Grey crowned crane - Balearica regulorum

Grey crowned crane - Balearica regulorum
JerseyLotte, 24 Oct 2011
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • zooman64
      Grey Crowned Cranes have been maintained at Jersey since 1959, which makes this species, together with gorillas (the first one of which arrived in that same year), the species maintained there for the longest period of time. Species come and species go, and I've always thought it rather strange that Jersey should have continued with Crowned Cranes all these years when they're not endangered. Nice birds though.
    • FBBird
      Grey Crowned Crane

I imagine they keep them as an iconic wetland species; they attract the visitor's attention to the issues around threatened wetland environments. The other Crane species in the collection -- White-naped & Stanley -- are considerably rarer.
      In the sme way, Jersey's [non-endangered] Meerkats serve as a flagship species for desert environments.
      Possibly less relevant to the Durrell eths, but equally valid in my view -- Crowned Cranes and Meerkats do well under captive conditions and are attractive -- good zoo subjects.
    • Chlidonias
      as I understand it, Jersey has also always kept certain common species as "models" for the husbandry of rarer species
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust
    Uploaded By:
    JerseyLotte
    Date:
    24 Oct 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    325.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1113px
    Height:
    1599px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D5000
    Date / Time:
    2011:10:22 13:37:39
    Exposure Time:
    1/800 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 500
    Focal Length:
    400 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).