Join our zoo community
Maguari

Grey-headed Woodpecker at Ohrada, 26/05/10

[i]Picus canus[/i] Best photo I could get - if you approached the aviary too closely it disappeared into the pophole. According to zootierliste.de, Ohrada is the only European collection to keep this species.

Grey-headed Woodpecker at Ohrada, 26/05/10
Maguari, 9 Jun 2010
Kifaru Bwana likes this.
    • Maguari
      Picus canus

Best photo I could get - if you approached the aviary too closely it disappeared into the pophole.

According to zootierliste.de, Ohrada is the only European collection to keep this species.
    • cockroach
      It is funny that many European animals are so rare in European zoos. Common visitor doesnt care if some little bird is from Europe or South America, because he doesnt know neither. But I think he can feel more familiar with European bird...maybe he can think that he has seen that little bird on his walk in a near forest.
      I am quite surprised why only a few zoos keep chamois. Or why there is no breeding program for Great Bustard...extremely rare bird, extinct in the most of its previous European area...and no breeding program? kept in few zoos in Russia and Ukraine? I hope that Ohrada is still planning to keep them in a new developing part of the zoo as it is shown in one of the photo uploaded by Maguari.
    • Jana
      A really good photo. I tryied myself severel times with this bird but without success.
    • Maguari
      Thanks - he's a tricky little beast and no mistake! :)

@ cockroach - regarding Great Bustards, encouraging news today from the UK reintroduction project: BBC News - Four great bustard chicks born on Salisbury Plain
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Ohrada
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    9 Jun 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: