Join our zoo community
Javan Rhino

Guenon sp/ssp for ID

Hi, I'm trying to ID this species of guenon that I've found whilst looking through an old SD card - it would have been taken at Twycross in November 2009, other than that I have no idea :s. Thanks in advance (and sorry for the poor quality image, I wouldn't post normally but just want an ID on it :D)

Guenon sp/ssp for ID
Javan Rhino, 30 Mar 2011
UngulateNerd92 and Ahmed Omran like this.
    • Javan Rhino
      Hi, I\'m trying to ID this species of guenon that I\'ve found whilst looking through an old SD card - it would have been taken at Twycross in November 2009, other than that I have no idea :s.

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the poor quality image, I wouldn\'t post normally but just want an ID on it :D)
    • Bwassa
      Hi Javan Rhino,
      I think it's a Red-Tailed Guenon (Cercopithecus ascanius). I'm sure I have a photo of one from Twycross somewhere. I'll have a look for you.
    • Maguari
      Yep, definitely Red-tailed Guenon; from the date it would be the last male now living at the monkey place on the Isle of Wight (that I can never remember the name of).
    • Javan Rhino
      Thanks Bwassa and Maguari. I take it it's no ssp. status?

Interestingly, if it is the same then Zootierliste shows Twycross as a former holder, but not the new place as a current holder or previous holder - I assume this is just an omission? http://www.zootierliste.de/en/?klasse=1&ordnung=107&familie=10708&art=1070820&haltungen=1

Or, it could be http://www.zootierliste.de/en/?klasse=1&ordnung=107&familie=10708&art=1070814&haltungen=1 ?

Sorry for all the questions, just putting my life-lists onto the blog and want to be as accurate as possible with which subspecies [if any] :)
    • Maguari
      Yup, some of the previous animals were listed as whitesidei or schmidti but the last animal was always just C. ascanius.

However:

The animal is now listed on Zootierliste as whitesidei - not sure if this is assumption or if someone more expert than I has identified it as such!
    • Javan Rhino
      Thanks again :) - I shall put it down simply as species, and may put in brackets 'possibly whitesidei' :)
    • bongorob
      Not sure but I think 1.1 whitesidei went from Howletts to Twycross in the late 1990s. I definately saw the ssp at Howletts in 1997.
    • Maguari
      Twycross definitely did have whitesidei at that time (though I wouldn't know if they were ex-Howletts), but once the zoo were down to this one Red-tailed the subspecies was no longer labelled - I wasn't paying close enough attention to spot how many animals there were immediately before this. It may be that this is a survivor of the whitesidei group but I don't see why they wouldn't label it as such in that case - they had always been labelled fully before.
    • Pertinax
      And I think the same pair were later sent on somewhere in France to join a larger group to get them breeding.
    • Pertinax
      Isle of Wight Owl and Monkey Haven...;)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Twycross Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Javan Rhino
    Date:
    30 Mar 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    135.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.1
    Make:
    Samsung Techwin
    Model:
    <Digimax S1030 / Kenox S1030>
    Date / Time:
    2027:08:22 15:44:48
    Exposure Time:
    1/45 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 111
    Focal Length:
    15 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).