Hix

Hairy-footed Moss Forest Blossom Bat (Syconycteris hobbit) - West Sepik Pro

April 1986

Hairy-footed Moss Forest Blossom Bat (Syconycteris hobbit) - West Sepik Pro
Hix, 1 Dec 2008
    • Hix
      April 1986
    • Hix
      This was the second individual of this species ever collected.

And - unless the pickled body of this guy has since been photographed, or another individual found and photographed - I own the only photos in existence of this uncommon little species.
    • Sun Wukong
      @Hix: Many, many thanks. That pic made my day! ;)

A Chiroptera Fan
    • Chlidonias
      did you know that if you search for "Syconycteris hobbit" on Google Images your photo is currently used on three other websites?

I think you may have answered this elsewhere but I can't remember, what was the story behind your New Guinea trip?

EDIT: I should have finished looking through the photos again! I found the answer to my second question on the other bat photo, namely: "It was an Australian Museum expedition in April of 1986. There were several species of these tube-nosed bats found up in the mountains, and our team leader was quite interested in them (but more interested in tree Kangaroos!). We used mist nets to get most of the bats. Local people would occassionally catch things for us too."

Your team leader wasn't Tim Flannery was it?
    • Hix
      Yes it was. Long before he had written any books, but when he was Head of the Mammalogy at the Museum.
    • Monty
      That sounds like a great expedition to be on.

Have you got a lot more photos :)
    • Hix
      Yes, but mainly of dead things or scenery. And it rained a lot.
    • Monty
    • Hix
      I found them interesting, but apparently the vast bulk of Zoochatters did not. Most of the photos I uploaded from PNG disappeared in The Great Purge of 2010.

:p

Hix
    • Chlidonias
      so they weren't photos of meerkats and tigers then?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Papua New Guinea - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Hix
    Date:
    1 Dec 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    149.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1584px
    Height:
    1036px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).