Join our zoo community
TeaLovingDave

Hamlyn's Monkey (Cercopithecus hamlyni) at Edinburgh Zoo - 9th January 2012

An unconventional view of this guenon, at what is now the only UK collection to hold the species. It is often easy to forget just how ferocious the fangs of primates can be!

Hamlyn's Monkey (Cercopithecus hamlyni) at Edinburgh Zoo - 9th January 2012
    • TeaLovingDave
      An unconventional view of this guenon, at what is now the only UK collection to hold the species. It is often easy to forget just how ferocious the fangs of primates can be!
    • Pertinax
      By the size of the canines/width of head I'd say that's the new male. If it is him, he's quite a timid creature really-when outside he looks up nervously at the sky frequently (jungle behaviour?)

Its a shame that not so long ago five UK zoos had these monkeys(London, Banham, Marwell, Twycross, Edinburgh.) They have bred at all of them bar Marwell, and only one successful birth I think at Twycross. Yet they have now gone from all these places apart from Edinburgh.
    • TeaLovingDave
      Yes, it is indeed him, as he was specifically pointed out when I had a chat with the keeper about the sad state of affairs re: guenon species and his having left Twycross.

And I did indeed get a lot of photos of him looking nervously at the sky ;) I just thought this photo would be more appealing for everyone to look at, lol!
    • Animal
      Really a nice shot :)
    • Pertinax
      I'm also pretty sure this is the same male who at one stage at Twycross was kept with three females, two of them were later sent elsewhere as I was told they bullied him, leaving him in recent years with just one partner. I still don't know what has happened to her(whether she died or was moved)
    • TeaLovingDave
      This individual, along with the remaining female, has now moved to Bojnice Zoo in Slovakia, leaving the UK with no more individuals of Cercopithecus hamlyni.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Edinburgh Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    TeaLovingDave
    Date:
    10 Jan 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: