Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

harris' hawk (raptor free flight demo)

April 1, 2019

harris' hawk (raptor free flight demo)
Arizona Docent, 2 Apr 2019
    • zoomaniac
      What a great shot, Fred!! Thank you very much for sharing.
    • Kakapo
      Wait, no jesses?? And even more surprising, no ring????
    • Terry Thomas
      Very nice photo.
    • Arizona Docent
      @Kakapo A few years ago they stopped using jesses so that photographers could get more natural photos.
    • Great Argus
      @Arizona Docent Do the birds have any way of tracking should something happen? Having worked with birds of prey, I've seen raptors fly off at some point or another whether startled or not feeling like doing what is wanted...
    • birdsandbats
      @Great Argus I've heard if this. The raptors are free to go anytime they want. They always come back.
      Great Argus likes this.
    • Arizona Docent
      Most of the birds have radio transmitters. After the demonstration they invited those of us who wanted to stay to watch them train a juvenile harris hawk (which I think is the one pictured here). During this informal time they told us their dominant adult female had recently flown off and was tracked in Superior, Arizona (east of Phoenix and quite a ways from Desert Museum). Two staff went up to find her but her feather with the transmitter fell off. They found it in a field but a few days later she returned to the Museum on her own.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    2 Apr 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    173.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    695px
    Height:
    642px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
    Date / Time:
    2019:04:01 10:38:57
    Exposure Time:
    1/2500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    200 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).