Eagle

Hartebeest

Only two zoos in europe keep them

Hartebeest
Eagle, 16 May 2009
    • Eagle
      Only two zoos in europe keep them
    • Kudu21
      Great shot :) These animals alone would give me a reason to visit the Hannover Zoo. Hartebeests are amazing animals. I would love to see more of them in zoos.
    • Meaghan Edwards
      Wonderful shot of such a magnificant animal. I've never seen these in a zoo before, only in pictures. I too wish there were more of them exhibited.
    • Baldur
      Upon seeing the Topis at San Antonio last year, anything that looks as spectacular is worth tracking down. I have been to both Hannover and Arnhem in 2004 but back then I just didn't realise what kind of gems these were. I have no photos.

Are both places breeding them? Are Arnhem's out on the savannah exhibit or in a special exhibit?
    • Tarsius
      Kaamas do not have a future at Hannover Zoo after the loss of an adult female and the breeding male in 2010. Who knows, how long they will be there.....

Arnheim has bred them one or two times, but no male left there,as far as I know.
    • ZOOgr
      Both females died this year in Arnhem. One of them died giving birth to a male calf who survived. There are just 2 males left in Arnhem.
    • Kudu21
      That's terribly unfortunate. I'd love to see a zoo in the US invest in at least one of the three species of Hartebeest. (The Red, Lichtenstein's, and Common Hartebeests are considered seperate species now) An increase in the population of Topis would be great as well.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Sad state of affairs for hartebeest in zoos nowadays. There's only one individual Red left in Europe, sent from Hannover to Wroclaw (thankfully got ok views of it), and the US population of Jackson's is down to one individual at Lion County Safari (think there's a small number more in private, though). Unfortunately the last Topi at San Antonio were sent away only three weeks before my first visit this year...

~Thylo
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Erlebnis-Zoo Hannover
    Uploaded By:
    Eagle
    Date:
    16 May 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    573.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    536px
    Aperture:
    f/10.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D60
    Date / Time:
    2009:05:07 13:43:01
    Exposure Time:
    1/30 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    200 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).