Join our zoo community
sooty mangabey

Hazel grouse, April 2015

One of three grouse species currently on display - and they really are wonderful birds!

Hazel grouse, April 2015
sooty mangabey, 25 Apr 2015
Goura likes this.
    • sooty mangabey
      One of three grouse species currently on display - and they really are wonderful birds!
    • LaughingDove
      Great photo!

Did you happen to notice if either the blue-eared pheasants or white-eared pheasants were on display? They would be in one of the aviaries in the same row as the grouse outside the bird house.

They rotate between the off-show section near the condors (you can see it if you peek through a gap in the fence) and one of the aviaries outside the bird house.
    • sooty mangabey
      White eared pheasants were in one of the old, free-standing cages that pepper the zoo (sharing with some red-billed blue magpie, I think).

Blue eared pheasants also on display - but I'll need to check where.

Pedantic punctuation point....
      Incidentally, these pheasants are sometimes listed as "white-eared", "blue-eared" etc - with the hyphen - but their "ears" are always white - it is the rest of the pheasant that is blue, brown or - in differentiation - white. So, the hyphen is erroneous. In the HBW they are described as "blue eared-pheasant" and so on.....
    • LaughingDove
      That is interesting about the white-eared pheasants. I think the cage that they must have been displayed in is the one opposite the entrance to the indoor area of the rhino house which red-billed blue magpie + a different pheasant species that regularly changes. (I have seen Indian peafowl, silver pheasants, golden pheasants etc. previously).

I appreciate the correction by the way. :)
    • sooty mangabey
      That aviary currently has a pair of curassows - bare-faced, I think - along with the red-billed blue magpies.

The white eared-pheasants are in a larger cage, on the path between the Elephant House and the Bird House.

I've checked the current location of the blue eared-pheasants: they're in one of the rows of pheasant aviaries with, I think, some form of domestic pigeons, or possibly a turtle dove of some sort.

I have uploaded pictures of both the white and blue eared-pheasants.

http://www.zoochat.com/273/blue-eared-pheasant-april-2015-a-408228/

http://www.zoochat.com/273/white-eared-pheasant-april-2015-a-408227/
    • sooty mangabey
    • LaughingDove
      Ah, yes. I know the one you mean.

Thanks
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Warsaw Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    sooty mangabey
    Date: