Join our zoo community
Baldur

Henry Doorly Zoo 2010 - Free-ranging Giant Indian Fruit Bats in Lied Jungle

September 2010 Free-ranging Giant Indian Fruit Bats in Lied Jungle.

Henry Doorly Zoo 2010 - Free-ranging Giant Indian Fruit Bats in Lied Jungle
Baldur, 18 Dec 2010
    • Baldur
      September 2010

Free-ranging Giant Indian Fruit Bats in Lied Jungle.
    • KCZooFan
      How do you know the species?
    • Baldur
      I can't remember - think I saw it hidden somewhere on the zoo's website :D
    • Maguari
      Have to say, I wouldn't have said these were Giant Indians from this photo - those are usually much darker in colour and don't have the pink 'fingers'. To me they look more like Egyptian Fruit Bats (Rousettus aegypticus).
    • Baldur
      Taxonomical debate is something I never enter; but I would like to point out that ISIS lists Omaha as having 8.7 Indian Flying Fox (Pteropus giganteus).
    • Maguari
      I'm unconvinced, I'm afraid! If you run 'Pteropus giganteus' through Google Images you'll see they're quite different - black and golden-brown fur and the folded wings don't protrude beyond the head when resting.

Do we have an Omaha regular who could confirm? :D
    • lintworm
      This could be a Pteropus species, but certainly no P. giganteus. It's difficult to estimate the size on photo's, but they look way to small for a P. giganteus, more like the size of an egyptian fruit bat or a smaller Pteropus species.

Btw. ISIS also lists Ruwenzori long-haired fruit bats and egyptian fruit bats for Omaha
    • Baldur
      I'm leaving this to the big boys now! :D
    • Maguari
      Then I would definitely say these are one of those two species (or a mixture of both!). I honestly wouldn't trust myself to tell the difference reliably - never seen a Ruwenzori in the flesh.
    • lintworm
      as they are a bit to dark for an egyptian fruit bat and photo's i have seen from the ruwenzori species, i would say these are ruwenzori long haire fruit bats. But maybe someone that has actually seen both species can tell us the answer...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Baldur
    Date:
    18 Dec 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: