Join our zoo community
Baldur

Henry Doorly Zoo 2010 - Malayan Tapir in Lied Jungle

September 2010 Malayan Tapir in Lied Jungle. Javan and Francois Langur share the exhibit with the tapirs.

Henry Doorly Zoo 2010 - Malayan Tapir in Lied Jungle
Baldur, 18 Dec 2010
    • Baldur
      September 2010

Malayan Tapir in Lied Jungle. Javan and Francois Langur share the exhibit with the tapirs.
    • Animal
      Can it go up in the planted section or is the whole exhibit this riverbank?
    • DavidBrown
      This is where the Omaha Zoo more closely resembles the Capital of Texas Zoo or the Las Vegas Zoo than the world class zoos that it aspires to be.

I know that the new management is trying to fix their problems. How do you undo this mess? How can any zoo of conscience maintain this tapir exhibit?

Am I exaggerating how bad this exhibit is? Someone please reality check me if I am.
    • snowleopard
      The exhibit is horrendous for the tapirs due to lack of space and lack of natural substrate on land, and I've always been under the impression that they could not access the higher ground. I don't think that it would be too difficult to place small-clawed otters in the exhibit, but the zoo has held tapirs here for almost 20 years.
    • Malayan Tiger
      In the wild tapirs soak all the time like hippos so a small land area and a large pool is fine
    • ThylacineAlive
      And you know this how?

I've personally seen several tapirs at a few different zoos and, in the case of one zoo, seen them many, many times and to this day I've not once seen a tapir in the water. In fact, I've only ever seen them either resting like this or walking around the land area.

~Thylo:cool:
    • Malayan Tiger
      Whenever I go to the Detroit zoo, the tapirs are always floating in the water like hippos. Out of 15 or so times, only once or twice did I see them resting in the sun. Those were Lowland Tapirs, though......
    • ThylacineAlive
      For the record hippos also need a considerable amount of land space.

~Thylo:cool:
    • Malayan Tiger
      True but they are much larger than Tapirs
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Baldur
    Date:
    18 Dec 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: