Join our zoo community
StellarChaser

Henry the male Wrinkled Hornbill

Henry the male Wrinkled Hornbill
StellarChaser, 29 Nov 2021
    • Sarus Crane
      Did he replace the Great Indian Hornbills?
      Mr Gharial likes this.
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      Flying Red Tail Hawk
      Nice pic
    • StellarChaser
      Sarus Crane likes this.
    • TZFan
      @Sarus Crane, the wrinkled hornbill is a species you better see at the zoo while you still can. Henry is slated to head to Europe when transportation is allowed. He is about to go from lonely guy without hope of a mate to a hot commodity in Europe where he will bring fresh genetics. His exhibit is upstairs to the left of the orang viewing (if you are facing the orangs).

Great hornbill Jonah remains in his exhibit opposite the tigers where he will likely remain until he passes, sadly without a mate as well, but for a very different reason. He is very aggressive both with his keepers and other birds. When he joined the late Aasha as her mate he was so aggressive that he caused serious head injuries and Aasha became blind. It's a real pity because he was wild hatched and could greatly contribute to genetics but better his genetics be wasted then risk him harming or even killing another mate.
      Sarus Crane likes this.
    • Sarus Crane
      @TZFan Jona's possible offspring could inherit the "psycho gene" as well so it's good they won't breed him. Toronto is too far for me right now to travel, but I'm going to try and see Jacksonville's remaining individual if I can.
    • TZFan
      @Sarus Crane, very true about the temperament being passed on. I think the bigger concern at first is what might he do to the new mate before even getting a chick. His temperament is severe enough they don't even want to try with a wild born potential founder. That says a lot. Keepers dont go in with him ever. They shift him so they can do maintenance and feed him. Just a shame he can never live up to his potential as a breeding male. He is a large impressive looking male. But sometimes you just shouldnt gamble.
      Sarus Crane likes this.
    • StellarChaser
      @TZFan I hear that Jonah is currently the only Great Hornbill in Canada, is it correct?
    • TZFan
      @StellarChaser, yes I believe he is. There could be one in private hands I dont know of but I dont think any accredited zoo in Canada has another one.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    StellarChaser
    Date:
    29 Nov 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count: