Join our zoo community
Paradoxurus

Hippo at Dublin in about March 1998.

This is the old male Hippo at Dublin Zoo. I think he's now dead. This old pool no longer exists either. It used to be where the elephant paddock is now.

Hippo at Dublin in about March 1998.
Paradoxurus, 17 Mar 2008
    • Paradoxurus
      This is the old male Hippo at Dublin Zoo. I think he's now dead. This old pool no longer exists either. It used to be where the elephant paddock is now.
    • Brendan Walsh
      That is henry, his still alive and well, living in the new African Plains part of Dublin Zoo.
    • Paradoxurus
      I only suggested he could have died because there is a Hippo skull in the zoo's education department that looks remarkably like Henry's. I've got a photo of that somewhere which I'll dig out.
    • Pertinax
      He was born 1977 at Amsterdam so is now 33 years old. He came to Dublin from Rotterdam. His name in the studbook is Tom/Henri so I guess it has since been changed slightly to our version of 'Henry'.

That lower tusk growing out sideways is very distinctive.

His son 'Hoovie' aged 9 has just been sent to Whipsnade.
    • Bele
      I had the pleasure of feeding Henry with carrots from the side of the old pool , as I am sure many others did - I think have seen pictures of school parties in the enclosure feeding him .
    • Paradoxurus
      I have photographs of that occasion somewhere, Bele. I will have to dig them out!
    • Arizona Docent
      Whoa - someone needs braces!

(Not sure if you use the same term braces outside of U.S. - if not, they are the metal tighteners that some children have installed on their teeth to straighten them out).
    • Paradoxurus
      We call the "train tracks" (yes, I can say that because I suffered them in my youth).
    • KCZooFan
      You would need actual train tracks to straighten out this guys teeth :D
    • Gaz
      Not in Ireland.. We call them braces.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Dublin Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Paradoxurus
    Date:
    17 Mar 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    49.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    557px
    Height:
    451px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).