Join our zoo community
MKE Zoo guy

Hippo Exhibit

Looking into the beach portion of the new hippo exhibit and what once was the old African Forest exhibit.

Hippo Exhibit
    • pachyderm pro
      I must say the land area is a bit larger than I expected! Still the lack of grass is unfortunate and there are other flaws with this new exhibit. Thank you very much for all of the new photos however.
    • birdsandbats
      It could use some more room but it is still a vast improvement over the old enclosure.
    • MonkeyBat
      I can't really tell from this picture, but is the floor sand or rock?
    • Matt G
      Is the new hippo exhibit open yet?
    • pachyderm pro
      @Matthew Guimac Not officially, but it should be fully open by the end of the month.
    • birdsandbats
    • snowleopard
      Is this what the finished exhibit is going to look like? Here is my photo from 10 years ago, before millions of dollars was spent on what appears to be an underwhelming upgrade. (Cheyenne Mountain Zoo's new hippo habitat is FAR more impressive)

[​IMG]
    • pachyderm pro
      @snowleopard Yes, this is pretty much the finished exhibit, as you can see a hippo in the exhibit in the center of the photo. I am in complete agreement that this exhibit is incredibly disappointing despite being brand new. There are so many design flaws its hard where to start - the minimalistic land area, lack of grass, lack of space in general, only two animals, underutilization of nearby areas, visible metal and industrial components above the underwater viewing area - and while this new habitat is a major step up over the once abysmal exhibit pictured above as @birdsandbats said, it could have been so much more if done correctly. The new complex at the Cheyenne Mountain zoo is everything a hippo exhibit should be and I have seen nothing but praise for Waters Edge: Africa. It is undoubtably superior to Milwaukee's new exhibit in every way (besides the lack of underwater viewing, which Milwaukee does feature).
    • Matt G
      Could they add more natural substances to make it better later on?
    • DavidBrown
      How many hippos was this exhibit designed to hold?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Milwaukee County Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    MKE Zoo guy
    Date:
    15 Jun 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.8 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px
    Aperture:
    f/1.8
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Date / Time:
    2020:06:15 11:38:02
    Exposure Time:
    1/2625 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 32
    Focal Length:
    4.25 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).