Join our zoo community
Julio C Castro

Hippo the rescue pit bull

The sweetest big pup ever, raised him as my own and even though he left to a loving home, he is one of the few I felt that deep connection to.

Hippo the rescue pit bull
    • Onychorhynchus coronatus
      He's a very photogenic dog too !
    • Julio C Castro
    • TinoPup
    • Julio C Castro
      @TinoPup that’s what one of my coworkers also said as well but we use the terminology “pit bull” interchangeably with the bully breeds since most of the bully type dogs we get in our clinic tend to not have distinct phenotypes and we use it for them all :) He has the build of Bully but that head rivals the heads of some Cane Corsos we’ve had come in from rescue situations regarding backyard breeders, beautiful dogs yet judged harshly :mad:
    • TinoPup
      @Julio C Castro Using it interchangeably is a verrrrry touchy subject ;) I forgot the acronym people use, BB something? To cover the general type, vs a specific breed name. Yeah, the head is what makes me think XL instead of Classic, but I'm not particularly well-versed with bullies (given their tendency to have awful breeding practices).
    • Julio C Castro
      @TinoPup Haha I did get into a debate in person about it so I attest the touchy nature of the subject :D I’ve only heard that acronym at least one similar to it regarding a bully type that came in and had the most fishy paper work every from the “breeder”. It was BB blue IIRC, I didn’t know what was the significance but I believed it was due to their “blue nose” type when I looked it up. His head is the biggest in proportion to his body compared with other bully types I’ve seen and don’t let the photo fool you, he was short and low to the ground. Weighed 93lbs prior to his departure to his new home, also has degenerative defects due to the backyard breeding situation he was in. Hippo’s spine has more a curvature to it, had a compromised soft palate that we had to surgically repair. It sounded like snoring evens we awake and not doing anything :(
      TinoPup likes this.
    • TinoPup
      @Julio C Castro LOL. The term I'm thinking of is BBT or something, with t being for type, not anything color related (like the blue nose/red nose BS). Bullies in general have horrible structure, 99% of the people breeding them don't have a basic understanding of conformation and basic health and shouldn't be involved with creating new dogs. For the breed, his structure doesn't look too bad - relatively straight front with elbows tucked in, shoulders are decent, etc.
    • Julio C Castro
      @TinoPup It’s said when these breeders just want to breed puppies of “pure lineages” and then crack at the seams when any sort of ailment comes to play due to they horrible practices. In the past year, we’ve had “pure” breed puppies come from one specific area here in SoCal and almost every single one that came in was either exposed to Parvovirus or Canine distemper virus along with other issues. The breeds ranged from pugs, Great Danes, German shepherds, cane corsos, and a few others. Luckily most have pulled through but some unfortunately didn’t :/
    • TinoPup
      :( It has nothing to do with being purebred - I show dogs and am quite involved with purebred dogs. Responsible breeders factor in a number of things when breeding a litter, including each dog's conformation and how well they'll match up, health testing (things like OFA hips and elbows, CERF eye tests, etc, not just going to the vet for a basic exam), and other important factors that breeders like that ignore. They also vaccinate against parvo and distemper, and don't put their dogs in those situations.

Thought of the term. BBM, bully breed mix.
    • Julio C Castro
      @TinoPup That’s what I meant to and didn’t word it properly, my bad :oops: These are “breeders” literally just trying to make a quick buck and literally have made up paperwork to declare that come from a good stock/lineage. I’ve seen some really well wonderful breeds come in when I was at my previous clinic which a few came with documentation from the AKC, it wasn’t too often I’d see that paperwork and they would come in for minor issues typically. I’m not too familiar how that works or if you actually need to register the breed they works with if it’s under one of their recognized breeds.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Pets & Private Collections
    Uploaded By:
    Julio C Castro
    Date:
    5 Apr 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    7.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4368px
    Height:
    3168px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON Z 50
    Date / Time:
    2021:03:08 20:05:10
    Exposure Time:
    1/750 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    70 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).