Join our zoo community
Maguari

Hoan Kiem Turtle Display at the Turtle Centre, Cuc Phuong, 10/03/12

A display dedicated to the [i]Rafetus swinhoei[/i] turtle in Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi. I looked for the turtle itself in Hanoi on two separate days but had no luck (one of my travelling companions did, however!).

Hoan Kiem Turtle Display at the Turtle Centre, Cuc Phuong, 10/03/12
Maguari, 25 Apr 2012
    • Maguari
      A display dedicated to the Rafetus swinhoei turtle in Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi.

I looked for the turtle itself in Hanoi on two separate days but had no luck (one of my travelling companions did, however!).
    • devilfish
      The remaining turtle is reported to have died earlier today:
      News VietNamNet

This leaves a known population of just three surviving animals.
    • vogelcommando
      That's really bad news ! Are the sexes of the remaining 3 specimens known and can they be brought together in a last attemp to breed them ?
    • FunkyGibbon
      I spent three days around the lake two weeks ago having totally forgotten the turtle was there. Needless to say I didn't see it.
    • Chlidonias
      you can see two of the three surviving individuals at the Suzhou Zoo, which is just out of Shanghai....
    • devilfish
      As Chlidonias mentions, a pair are kept in Suzhou Zoo. They have produced clutches of eggs for several years with varying levels of fertility, but no young have yet been successfully reared.
      The other specimen in Vietnam is thought to be male.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Turtle Conservation Centre
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    25 Apr 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    188.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S7000
    Date / Time:
    2012:03:10 02:22:10
    Exposure Time:
    10/2400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    7.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).