Join our zoo community
Sun Wukong

Hodonin Zoo Lar Gibbon

A pool for gibbons? Makes one wonder what was housed there before...

Hodonin Zoo Lar Gibbon
Sun Wukong, 1 Oct 2008
    • Sun Wukong
      A pool for gibbons? Makes one wonder what was housed there before...
    • PAT
      It looks like an old water bird aviary.
    • CZJimmy
      London zoo used to keep gibbons in a cage with a water floor...
    • epickoala123
      very poor system
    • IanRRobinson
      Well, it does make them stay arboreal.

TBF, there looks quite a bit of climbing apparatus here. Certainly there's a fair bit of height as well. This is a lot better than the London enclosure that czjimmy has recalled, although that was softened quite a bit before its demolition.
    • zooboy28
      Wow, that is an extremely weird way of displaying gibbons. I don't think any arboreal species should be forced to stay arboreal, they should have the option of coming down to the ground. Fill the pool in a bit I say!
    • Rhinopithecus
      The idea was to have small claawed otters there with gibbons but it was never actually tried.
    • zooboy28
      Probbaly a good idea that it wasn't tried, as there have been issues with this mix elsewhere (I think in the US at least).
    • Toddy
      I don't know the statistics for this mix but Randers Tropical Zoo in Denmark have kept pileated gibbons together with small-clawed otters for 12 years now with no problems.
    • zooboy28
      I might be wrong actually, I was thinking of langurs. Gibbons are a bit larger so can probbaly cope better with otters. The Randers enclosure looks much better (and bigger?) than this one, which doesn't look suitable for otters either really.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Hodonín
    Uploaded By:
    Sun Wukong
    Date:
    1 Oct 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    137.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    480px
    Height:
    640px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DCR-TRV22E
    Date / Time:
    2008:09:28 11:10:25
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    Focal Length:
    4.5 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).