Zambar

Hog Deer

28th June 2010.

Hog Deer
Zambar, 1 Jul 2010
    • Zambar
      28th June 2010.
    • ungulate nerd
      Unfortunately Howletts Zoo no longer has Common hog deer (Hyelaphus porcinus porcinus), what ever happened to them ?
    • zoogiraffe
      Not sure but I would guess they died out!
    • Pertinax
      I believe I saw one or two still when I visited this time last year, so they must have died out quite recently- unless I just assumed I'd seen them as I expected to do so.
    • ungulate nerd
      Thanks Pertinax, thanks Zoogiraffe, I appreciate the info !!!, do you think that Howletts will get more Hog deer or do you think that is the last of them ?, I sure hope they get more !!!, Hog deer are such interesting animals, I like how they run under obstacles like most other deer species jump over them
    • TeaLovingDave
      I certainly saw the Howletts hog deer on 29 January 2012, when I visited - so they must have left within the last 16 months or so.
    • Pertinax
    • Tim May
      Hybrids between axis deer and hog deer have, indeed, been recorded.

However, as you mention, I guess this is not likely to happen when mates of their own species are available.
    • Pertinax
      In the Asian Plains reserve at Whipsnade I have always seen the herds of the two species entirely seperate and not near each other at all. At Howletts in the smaller paddock, the spatial distinction between the species is less obvious.

I believe in the wild their ranges do not normally overlap and that the one replaces the other in roughly the same ecological niche.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Howletts Wild Animal Park
    Uploaded By:
    Zambar
    Date:
    1 Jul 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    392.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.4
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-FZ38
    Date / Time:
    2010:06:28 14:51:14
    Exposure Time:
    10/5000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    86.4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).