Hovatter's - Sign justifying the giraffes being kept on gravel instead of grass

Hovatter's - Sign justifying the giraffes being kept on gravel instead of grass
TinoPup, 13 Jun 2022
Coelacanth18 likes this.
    • Mr Gharial
      This sounds like a huge pile of bull droppings
      TinoPup likes this.
    • TinoPup
      @Mr Gharial What, you don't think africa is covered in gravel? ;) The yard is a decent size, at least... can't imagine how high their gravel bill is.
    • birdsandbats
      @TinoPup Gravels for giraffes is common in roadside zoos, much like "big cat sand".
      TinoPup likes this.
    • TinoPup
      @birdsandbats I know, I go to a lot of roadside zoos, remember :p I've just never seen a sign trying to justify it before.
    • birdsandbats
      @TinoPup I know, figured I'd mention it for context.
      TinoPup likes this.
    • Maguari
      To be fair - it's not so long ago that most major zoos in Europe did the same (and often had similar signs). Grassy giraffe paddocks as standard are a fairly recent phenomenon in the UK.
    • Coelacanth18
      @Maguari Is there actual rationale to this practice then, or is this an outdated understanding of giraffe husbandry?
    • Kudu21
      @Coelacanth18 — It is true that giraffe are both highly susceptible to intestinal parasites and are prone to hoof conditions when kept on grassy, soft substrate. Historically, this would be a major problem as heavy parasite loads and hoof abnormalities are often death sentences for giraffe, and giraffe were not until very recently viewed as animals tractable enough nor intelligent enough for intensive training programs. With modern husbandry practices and better understandings of these issues and of giraffe in general, facilities are able to provide varied substrate to wear hooves, enrichment, slow-feeders, and browse to redirect the feeding behavior away from grass or ground foliage, and training regimens for hoof maintenance and anti-parasitic treatments.
    • Maguari
      @Coelacanth18 Yep, as our tragelaphine friend says - it was considered a necessary precaution once upon a time, but now we have better ways around it. :)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Hovatter's Wildlife Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    TinoPup
    Date:
    13 Jun 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4000px
    Height:
    3000px
    Aperture:
    f/1.8
    Make:
    samsung
    Model:
    SM-G998U
    Date / Time:
    2022:05:27 15:10:00
    Exposure Time:
    1/1232 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 16
    Focal Length:
    6.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).