Join our zoo community
Maguari

Hybrid Bear at Osnabrück, 03/06/12

[i]Ursus maritimus[/i] x [i]Ursus arctos arctos[/i] The zoo also has an elderly female European Brown Bear held in an off-show-but-sort-of-visible enclosure near the tigers, but the 'Breisbären' resulting from a previous mixed group of bears are the main display. It's perhaps an odd choice to continue to display only the hybrids - a cynic would suggest they got stuck with them as no-one else wants them, a more generous view would be that it's laudable that they are looking after animals that could have become cast-off oddities so well.

Hybrid Bear at Osnabrück, 03/06/12
Maguari, 23 Feb 2013
    • Maguari
      Ursus maritimus x Ursus arctos arctos

The zoo also has an elderly female European Brown Bear held in an off-show-but-sort-of-visible enclosure near the tigers, but the \'Breisbären\' resulting from a previous mixed group of bears are the main display. It\'s perhaps an odd choice to continue to display only the hybrids - a cynic would suggest they got stuck with them as no-one else wants them, a more generous view would be that it\'s laudable that they are looking after animals that could have become cast-off oddities so well.
    • Pertinax
      Interesting how in this shot the legs and head look more Polar- like, while in the previous side-on photo it looks a bit more 'Brown bear' though overall the Polar bear characteristics seem dominant in both these shots.

This isn't the same bear that featured on a postcard is it? ( I thought that was a 'white' brown bear but maybe not..)
    • Maguari
      This photo and the dead-side-on one are consecutive shots of the same animal; I just went and checked as there are two bears (1.1, siblings) and it occurred to me they might be different animals in the two shots!
    • IanRRobinson
      It does look rather like a flavistic small Polar Bear.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Osnabrück
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    23 Feb 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    235.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1071px
    Height:
    1600px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D80
    Date / Time:
    2012:06:03 08:54:21
    Exposure Time:
    10/2500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    270 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).