ID needed

ID needed
FunkyGibbon, 12 Apr 2016
    • FunkyGibbon
      Mauremys sinensis
    • wally war eagle
      north american wood turtles, Glyptemys insculpta
    • FunkyGibbon
      Are you really absolutely sure? This is a breeding centre inside Cuc Phuong National Park in Vietnam. It is possible to get a guided tour, but this is very much a captive breeding centre and not a zoo. Other than Red-necked Sliders the facility holds no non-native species. Maybe I have misidentified it, it could very possibly be another of the species at the centre, and it's techinically possible that they imported Glyptemys insculpta, it's just very unlikely.

EDIT: having checked my camera, it certainly isn't Mauremys sinensis, but the rest of my comment still stands. The hunt for truth is on!
    • wally war eagle
      the external characteristics confirm G. insculpta. I maintain this species.
    • Chlidonias
      they are a species of Cyclemys. I thought C. oldhamii at first but I think probably C. pulchristriata.
    • wally war eagle
      I do not participate in pissing contests. To the kiwi, what is your chelonian identification experience and expertise. Have you ever observed live specimens with exact identification. Look at photos in Vetter's volumes on NA and Asian species.
    • Chlidonias
      he is asking for an identification.
    • FunkyGibbon
    • lintworm
      Maybe you can explain based on characteristics why this should b G. insculpta and that it is not a Cyclemys or another Asian species instead of attacking the person who thinks it could be something different.
    • Chlidonias
      I can explain why it isn't a wood turtle, e.g. the carapace is the wrong shape, the leg scales are wrong, the scutes at the back of the shell are wrong, there are head-stripes (especially apparent in the second photo since posted), the plastron has a pattern completely unlike that of a wood turtle.

The second photo shows additionally the throat pattern which isn't as apparent in the first photo, which makes me think it is indeed Cyclemys pulchristriata (as opposed to another species of Cyclemys). But I'm happy to be corrected on the species.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Turtle Conservation Centre
    Uploaded By:
    FunkyGibbon
    Date:
    12 Apr 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count: