Join our zoo community
toto98

Ill looking cassowary

Its beak looks quite strange to me, and the eye was the worst, as it inflated and disinflated constantly

Ill looking cassowary
toto98, 23 Nov 2013
    • toto98
      Its beak looks quite strange to me, and the eye was the worst, as it inflated and disinflated constantly
    • dean
      Toto98 Did you ask anyone about this exhibit? they may know what the problem is, or you could alert them to something that may have happend since it was last looked at by the staff.
    • casuariusb
      Both the blunted beak and the eye are common signs of badly managed cassowaries. The eye may require treatment, but the beak is permanently damaged. More of a concern is the bulge in the throat. Cassowaries have a habit of swallowing large objects which they view as large fruit (part of the natural diet) but this looks big enough to be a tennis ball and someone should make sure what it is and that it is not stuck. It looks as if the bird will be unable to eat if that bulge goes untreated.
      Keep us informed.
    • toto98
      As you might see, the picture was taken on february of the past year, so I really have no idea how is the cassowary right now. But I´ll try to ask and inform you.
      Apparently it is also that the individual is very old
    • Kifaru Bwana
      Any info since?

BTW @toto98: the zoo nor individual in question are in the ISB!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoológico de Pereira
    Uploaded By:
    toto98
    Date:
    23 Nov 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    267.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1060px
    Aperture:
    f/7.1
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D5100
    Date / Time:
    2012:02:11 11:27:47
    Exposure Time:
    10/2000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    55 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).