Join our zoo community
Goura

Indian Muntjac

Indian Muntjac
Goura, 9 Jul 2020
    • Casuarius_casuarius
      Muntiacus muntjak
    • Casuarius_casuarius
      Tho, could potentially be Muntiacus atherodes too, since some of those were mixed with Night Safari's M. muntjak.
      Goura and Chlidonias like this.
    • Giant Eland
      Singapore Zoo had Muntiacus atherodes!? What years? How many? Any idea?
      Chlidonias likes this.
    • Chlidonias
    • Casuarius_casuarius
      @Chlidonias I came to the conclusion based on a record of an escapee made during the surveys of the Central Catchment from '96 - 97'. Lemme try and find the publication which the surveyor forwarded to me several months back.
      Goura likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      @Shaun_Casuarius I will be interested in what that record says, but I'm not sure I understand the connection between the reported "escapee" (presumably it was captured for identification) and your "conclusion" that the species was kept "mixed with Night Safari's M. muntjak" - it seems like there is some leap in the thought-process there.
    • Terry Thomas
      Good photo.
      Goura likes this.
    • Casuarius_casuarius
      @Chlidonias M. atherodes was only established as a distinct species in 1982, and it because it appears very similar morphologically to M. muntjak, it’s not too far-fetched that both species may have been mixed together in captive collections prior to the taxonomic update.

Hence why I connected the M. atherodes that was sighted within a section of the Central catchment nature reserve back in the 90s to the zoo’s collection, as this species is simply not indigenous to SG, apart from the ambiguous M. muntjak.
      Also, the specimen was sighted on a camera trap, and was not pursued any further.
    • Chlidonias
      @Shaun_Casuarius - so you've gone from a definite "some of those were mixed with Night Safari's M. muntjak" to basically saying that you have just made a wild guess that they were even present at a WRS collection.

I'm still interested in a reference for the survey. I think it is far more likely that it is a misidentification, especially if it was solely from a camera trap photo.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Singapore Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Goura
    Date:
    9 Jul 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2560px
    Height:
    1920px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-3
    Date / Time:
    2016:03:02 09:15:42
    Exposure Time:
    1/50 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1250
    Focal Length:
    169 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).