Join our zoo community
cypher

Indian Rhino Pavilion (Right Side)

This is the normal area of the indoor exhibit, redone. The best thing about this renovation is that the Rhinos no long look like they're in a stone building. The floor is completely covered in mulch to give them soft flooring, and the walls are all painted to give a nice background.

Indian Rhino Pavilion (Right Side)
cypher, 28 Dec 2016
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • Palorchestes
      Wow, gotta say this is not what I was expecting! I don't like that ledge between the mulch and the water but everything else looks quite good. Really wasn't expecting this much.
    • m30t
      I'm really impressed with this! Aside from being much more visually pleasing for us, the mulch covered floor has to be a noticeable improvement for the rhinos. Hopefully this is a positive sign for exhibit updates going forward.
    • TZFan
      I love these changes. It's gone from a cold concrete space to a beautiful exhibit (given the space available). Can't wait to see it in person.

And boy little Nandu is getting big. What happened to our tiny little baby? Won't be long before they are looking to rehome him.
    • cypher
      I was also surprised to see how big Nandu has gotten. Haven't seen him in nearly a month. I've been noticing this type of revamp in a lot of the smaller exhibits (Australasia comes to mind), but this is by far largest revamp. Also, if I remember correctly, this renovation also included better power efficiency, keeping the warmth in. Hopefully we'll see more small improvements like this in the future.
    • TZFan
      I'm hoping this kind of revamp is what we will be looking at when they get around to some of the older exhibits. And I'm absolutely praying that the orang outdoor goes for a very natural look. They deserve a natural space to explore.
    • Palorchestes
      My hopes for a naturalistic orang outdoor exhibit have been renewed in a way by this upgrade. This is really good and way more than I was expecting and was a rather minor project in comparison to the orangs. I just can get the image of a snow leopard exhibit-like netting around it which keeps me up at night. God that would be terrible.
    • cypher
      @Palorchestes, I feel your frustration about the future of the outdoor Orangutan exhibit. No netting, no fencing and no glass barrier of any kind. They take away from the viewing experience and hinder a photographer's ability to get a nice clean shot.

And please keep it natural. No giant green poles. I'd personal like no man made objects to be in the exhibit. That includes all the clothing that's in the indoor exhibit. I can't stand it.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    28 Dec 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    235.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1620px
    Height:
    1080px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D500
    Date / Time:
    2016:12:28 10:49:47
    Exposure Time:
    1/320 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 2500
    Focal Length:
    18 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).